1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

please help i m new to ubuntu and want to switch from windows to ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by jasneet, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasneet

jasneet Thread Starter

hi!
    i was using windows and ubuntu both
    i installed ubuntu after windows and imported all the data from windows
    recently i got some serious errors in my windows and i could not correct those errors and today i m not able to start my windows

now i want to use only ubuntu i want to delete windows

hard disk's partition description when only windows were on hard disk
    c: 15 gb containing windows
    d: 36 gb some data
    e: 36 gb some data
    f: 36 gb some dta
    30 gb of my hard disk was raw

i installed ubuntu on that raw memory and partioned that part of memory according to the instructions from the installer guide
    i think 5 gb of that 30 gb was used for coping operating system files
    and remaining 25 gb(which i thought that i will use for working with ubuntu) became lost and found(i m not allowed to use that space i dont know why?)

now my questions are:

1. how to remove windows without losing my data which i saved using windows on partitions made using windows. I have imported that data into linux while installing linux?

2. how i can make that memory in lost and found usable?

2. CloudCutter

CloudCutter

How large is the amount of data you want to save? If it will fit on a CD-R or DVD-R (if the system has one), you can reinstall Ubuntu on the same partition as before, import the data to Ubuntu as you did before, and burn it to disc. Then you can either expand the partition using gparted, or wipe the drive and start fresh. If you can't (or don't want to) do that, you can just use gparted to wipe all but the partition containing the desired data, install Ubuntu on the newly available space, import the data to the primary Ubuntu partition, and merge the old partition, make a new one, or leave it alone.

If you haven't done so already, I would recommend downloading and burning Parted Magic to disc.

CloudCutter

3. chatterjee

chatterjee

Download and install Gparted Live and burn it on to a CD.Boot using the CD and format the other partitions including tthat of Windows to Fat32 or ext3(i.e any filesystem recognised by Ubuntu).Edit the GRUB if need be.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice