Please help! I need a dll.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rinsewell

Hi! I just put in an ASUS mobo, and my XP Pro OS just sent me a message that Windows wouldn't come up because a dll was missing or corrupted. :( <Windows root>\System32\hal.dll.

I'm in the Recovery Console, and I went to Systemroot, but the command <Windows root>\System32\hal.dll. is invalid.

Other than reinstall XP, what can I do to find or get that hal.dll.

Thank you

rinsewell

DoubleHelix

Banned
Downloading the hal.dll file from some place on the Internet certainly won't solve the problem, and will likely make it worse. That's a major system file.

The problem is that you switched motherboards and tried to boot the same Windows install you used prior. Not going to work. You can try a repair, but you probably have to do a full reinstall.

rinsewell

Downloading the hal.dll file from some place on the Internet certainly won't solve the problem, and will likely make it worse. That's a major system file.

The problem is that you switched motherboards and tried to boot the same Windows install you used prior. Not going to work. You can try a repair, but you probably have to do a full reinstall.
Thanks DoubleHelix! That's what I was afraid of. Well, I have a an external hard drive with most of the stuff on it, so it's just a matter of a little loss and a lot of time. But maybe this time I'll only put on programs that I use. And I'' have the opportunity to get rid of a lot of crap.

Thanks again! (y):D

rinsewell

I did a diagnostic and it came up with "boot manager is missing or corrupt."

Is there someplace with a download for a corrupt boot manager? I wouldn't even ask, but I can't get to format it either. :(

DoubleHelix

Banned
You have to boot from the Windows installation disk. It sounds like you're still booting from the hard drive. Either change the boot order in the BIOS or press whatever key your motherboard supports to bring up the boot menu. Could be ESC, F2, F10, F12.

rinsewell

You have to boot from the Windows installation disk. It sounds like you're still booting from the hard drive. Either change the boot order in the BIOS or press whatever key your motherboard supports to bring up the boot menu. Could be ESC, F2, F10, F12.
Actually I'd been doing that. But this time I used a different XPCD, and lo! she booted up. Problem solved. I did a repair with no problems. Everything is running fine! Thank you very much. Your post was the inspiration to get it up! (y)

Thanks again, everyone for your help! :D

rinsewell:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online