1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help. I think something is stopping my MAC from accessing the net

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by tomasrubeck, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomasrubeck

tomasrubeck Thread Starter

Hi,

Hope you are well.

I have a Mac PowerBook G4 running 10.5.8 I am having problems getting on the net on some sites? The problem has got gradually worse through the evening...and I think I might have a bug if that is possible? When I try to get onto the net eg myspace I get my home page and then the Mac wheel starts spinning for ages and then it crashes. The same thing happens on other sites too. That is I can't get past the home page, and everything either crashes or freezes.

I bought and downloaded some software from the net yesterday and I think it has caused the problem.

Really hope you can help.

Thanks so much.

2. badness

badness

What kind of software did you buy? What type of websites have you been going to?
    badness

3. tomasrubeck

Just the usual - my email accounts, myspace and facebook. And as I work in the music business, music download sites such as Beatport. I have never encountered this problem before. But now I cannot get onto the web using my Mac. It will bring up the homepage of my Myspace but then the Mac wheel stays there and keeps spinning and then the page crashes.
    Apparently you can't get viruses on a Mac so could it be Malware causing this? And if so how do I get rid of it please? Grateful for your help.

4. badness

badness

Can you access the web using any other computer?

5. tomasrubeck

Sorry for the delay, have been at work.

I can still gain access to some sites but a lot of sites I can't get on. I have tried both Safari and Firefox and have the same problem. On Fire fox after it crashes I have to force quit and a report error comes up, then when I re-load up Firefox it says "Well this is embarrassing message" and asks if I want to restore.

I can Access the web.

Would be grateful for your help.

6. badness

badness

A couple things to try: Can you download Google Chrome browser and see if that works? I wouldn't try to import any bookmarks or anything.
    Also, try setting up a guest user account and see if you can get on that way. That can tell you if it's systmic across your mac or not.
    Assuming you have your data backed up, it may be advisable to reinstall the Operating System. Sounds draconian but it should take care of the problem and will certainly clear out any crud that has clogged your tubes.

7. tomasrubeck

Cheers badness,

Will give it a go.

Thanks for your help

8. brainwave89

brainwave89

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice