please, help! i'm in serious trouble!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

adepablo

hi everyone!!!

i'll try to explain as exactly as I can what I did.

My dad has a laptop which he uses at his office. It is part of a network, or domain, or whatever it is. I wanted to send him some files connecting his computer to mine, so I created a network group, and changed his workgroup name so that it was the same as mine (to transfer the files), as a friend told me to do it. It had worked with my friend, I could access his shared documents files!

I use XP, and my dad uses W2000 Proffesional Ed. Ok, I was asked to restart, I did so, and when he tried to log in with his user and password, he couldn't! Luckily after a while, he remembered the administratot password, so we could access his computer files (all of them, phew!)!

When I checked the Documents and Settings folder, I found the administrator account we used, his account (the one he couldn't access), and two more accounts: USER and administrator.lifeland (i guess lifeland was his domain, or whatever)!

Of course, he wants his computer back to normal asap, or I'll be dead! But that's not the worst part! He also wants to access outlook from his account (the one he can't access as usual), because he has hundreds of emails stored there which he needs also asap! I looked for those emails in the identities folder of the local settings folder of the USER account and his usual account (the one he can't access with his password now as usual), and couldn't find them! I opened the .dbx files I found, but there were no emails saved there! Where are they?

And also, how can I restore the usual login process? Shall I go to Networks, and change his id, saying this network is not corporative and all users log in with their passwords (those are the given options!)?

Please, help!

It's my first time here, and I don't really know how this works! My messenger is [email protected], in case someone can add me and explain it to me, or email me!

Thanks a lot!

Alvaro.

adepablo

what if i changed the network id, and chose a non corporative network, setting the usual login by users up? would everything go back to normal? i don't dare though...

A odd little quick fix is to use system restore to put back settings to how they were a fair amount of time before.

It sounds like the laptop was probably part of a domain and by joining it to a workgroup, you removed it. He can't login with his old username and password because it was probably a domain account using a cached password for authentication. Unless you can do a system restore (which I really wouldn't recommend unless you set a restore point right before you made these changes), the laptop will have to be re-joined to the domain before he can login as his domain account. Unfortunately, the best way to do this is for him to be physically connected to the network. It may also be possible to do it over VPN, but that opens up a whole new can of worms.

At the very, you can tell him that his data is still intact. His email is probably in a .pst or .ost if he's using Outlook.

I would strongly recommend you leave it up to his IT department from here...

cybertech

Retired Moderator
W2K does not have system restore.

The machine needs to be rejoined to the domain, if he can't do this himself he need to contact an administrator to assist him.

If he's using Outlook and not Outlook Express his personal folders would be pst files.

He has to physically be at work and have the admin join this machine back onto the domain. This is the only way your going to get it "back to normal".

Just remember the PST and or DBX files are all part of his domain login which he can no longer log into because you removed it from the domain. They are still there and not lost if you didn't delete anything though so thats a +.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online