1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help - Indexing Trashed My Data

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by johnny_boy_, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny_boy_

johnny_boy_ Thread Starter

Hi,
    Sorry if this is long winded but I want to give you as much information as possible.

PC is a Toshiba Satelite Laptop running Vista Home Premium [Up to date, all service packs updates etc installed]

I downloaded the latest Vista Updates last night, 28 July 2009 (KB973923) + (KB972260) [See, I told you I keep it up to date]

All was going well until it came to 'restart' time.

Half way through (end of stage 2?) I got a 'DOS type screen' message saying something along the lines of 'Drive J indexing error missing 0 at file 25 attempt auto recovery?'

I hit yes and the pc did it's stuff.

Now Drive J [External Maxtor 500GB] is where I keep all my family photos, music etc. Upon completion I checked the drive and all appeared in order.

However, now when I try to play a .mp3 I get one of 3 results
    a) it plays fine [Tag data correct]
    b) it plays fine but it's the wrong song [Tag data partly missing]
    c) it refuses to open and says unsupported file type.

As for the photos.
    a) Some open fine.
    b) Some open but my camera setting etc are missing.
    c) Some refuse to open even though the photo is shown so I know what I'm trying to open.
    d) Some are just blank with a file name. (Won't open)

This has only affected my external drive. C drive is fine. E Drive is fine.

One last thing. When I opened the external drive to check all as well there was a .txt file present. I opened it and it was a copy of the 'DOS type screen message' from earlier. However, having read it it's now disappeared from view, otherwise I'd have posted it here.

Any ideas?

Cheers johnny_boy_

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I am not real optomistic....but try rebuilding your index
    go to control panel.. then indexing options

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!