1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help.... Intermittent Internet??? Or, maybe I am just stupid?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Glennforrest, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Glennforrest

Glennforrest Thread Starter

I am extremely frustrated. My internet / internet explorer seems to be very intermittent. The internet will be running fine and the next thing you know, it no longer works. It doesn’t stop running a page or anything like that, it only happens once you have closed all the way out of internet explorer and attempt to then go back in and pull-up another web page.

Typically, I have to re-start the computer to get the internet working again.

I tried resetting ALL internet options (Tools Menu) as well as have downloaded the most current version of IE….

One thing I did notice that was odd, my Microsoft Outlook and other programs still have access to a functioning internet i.e. to go grab and download mail. However, I still cant pull-up a new web page?

Another oddity, when you normally go into “Internet Connections” there is typically an “Internet Connection” under “Internet Gateway” and then a “Local Area Connection” under “LAN or High-Speed Internet”. When this problem happens, the “internet gateway” stuff disappears, only leaving the “Local Area Connection.”

I have tried to get rid of any spyware, malware, viruses etc. etc. etc. and try to be very proactive in removing them almost immediately if they exist. I also tried downloading and running WinsockXPFIX.exe as recommended by Dfreem5 for this type of problem or at least what I understood as this type of problem. Nothing I have tried seems to work.

I am just a basic internet user. No more, no less. I don't mess with the registry or try to change anything that I shouldn't be changing.... I have obviously caused this somehow.

I just want this to go away, it is extremely annoying. Thanks for the help

I am running Windows XP, Home Edition, 2002, Service Pack 2.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

What type of internet connection do you have cable or DSL?

3. Glennforrest

I have Comcast and I run it through my wireless..... I have been running it like this for well over a year with no problems....

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Have you tried using the Comcast tech support since they are your ISP?

5. Glennforrest

No... They are dumber than I am.... Also, because there is obviously still internet connectivity, I assumed that it wasn't a problem related to them?

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Ok since it is wireless where are you picking up your signal from?

7. Glennforrest

Sorry.. Maybe I got things wrong...I have my Comcast running into the house, into the modem, and then into the wireless, there is then a line from the wireless to the computer.

The computer is not actually running on wireless. I have it setup solely for my laptop to work off of. Although that doesn't happen all too often.

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Do you leave your computer and modem turned on and running all of the time?

9. Glennforrest

Nothing ever gets turned off.

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

That is more than likely your problem, the computer and modem are on all of the time and actually get stale sort of lke bread that is left out to long. And what has to be done is cycling botht he computer and modem. turn both off for 10 minutes or more every so often and then reboot you will see a difference in the way the system works.

Take this example say you stay up for a week that is 7 day or you try to, just think how tired you will get, you getting 8 hours of sleep is just like the computer being turned-off for a while and then turned back on or rebooted the computer gets set back to its defaults and works better.

Give it a try....I am time to shut-down for the night.

11. Glennforrest

I will give that a shot for the rest of the night.

Thanks for all of your help. I will certainly let you know how it goes.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice