1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help! Is my motherboard fried?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ShellBell7975, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShellBell7975

ShellBell7975 Thread Starter

OK, my comp would not turn on. Solution: my power supply somehow went bad (had comp for about four years) , so, I bought a new one. Everything is plugged in correct but now it seems like maybe my comp isnt fully booting. I turn the power on and it makes noise like it is booting up and all I get on my screen are about 5 colorful lines about 2 inches thick going down my moniter. Is this a problem with my motherboard, video card or hard drive?

Thanks in advance from the computer illiterate ShellBell7975! ;)

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

This is difficult to say exactly what is wrong with out looking at it but I have a couple of suggestions and a question.

Question, When you turn your computer on and this is since you put in the power supply, Did yo hear anything that sounds like eggs frying?

What kind of computer do you have?
    When you bought the power supply did you ask if they had one specifically for this model computer? Some computers take special power supplies they are made specifically for certain models and if you mix them with the wrong mother board the power supply will take out the motherboard.

Things you can try. replace the monitor with a known good monitor to see if there is any change in the screen. like no color bands going down the screen.

Replace the video card to see the same thing

when booting up are there any bands color or not going down the screen?

Check the connector going into the back of the computer from the monitor are there any broken pins?
    count the number of pins and post the number back here?

Double check all connections from the power supply to make sure they are connected properly.

Please answer all of these questions as accurately as possible and post back.

3. ShellBell7975

ok, when I turned the comp on, it sounded normal. my computer is a VPR Matrix Pentium 4 2.4GHz with windows xp home. I brought the old power supply in with me...old is a 300 and new one is a 350 ( the guy said it would be the same if not better). I am using my mom's comp at the moment with my old moniter so I know my moniter is fine. Can't replace my vid card at the moment being that I just moved I dont really know where the old one is at. When I boot the comp there are 5 bands of color going straight down the screen with like colored boxes ( if that makes sence, lol). The connecter is fine no broken prongs (3 prongs). All connections are plugged tight.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Yes that does make sense that the colors are going straight up and down. Have you ever seen a color test pattern on a television set, this is what that is. when you turn on the computer in question I bet you do not get the one single short beep either.

It sounds to me like there is something loose inside your computer. Before you turn it back on take the side off and check all of the connections, I said all even the ribbon cables and this is on both ends. Also check to make sure all of the Ram chips are seated properly, If they are not please be careful and do not touch the trace side or the gold connecting portion, they are very static sensitive. I think that when replacing the power supply you knocked something loose. One other thing I want you to check and if it is loose please do not try to reconnect it because for sure it will go kapooie on you. Take a look at the processor and wiggle it back and forth gently to see if it moves. If it falls out DDO NOT TOUCH THE GOLD PINS ON THE BOTTOM, and do not take it apart. Take lay it down in the bottom of the case and make sure nothing touches it. It is more static sensitive than the Ram. Take the computer to a repair shop or somebody who knows how to handle the part with out blowing it up. I am trying to scare you because this part is expensive, and is the heart of your computer. Do not even try to wrap it up unless it is in aluminum foil and make sure you are grounded to the computer case first.

Just look and make sure all of the connections are tight and if the video card is a plug in to the mother board that it is tight in the slot. Just push straight down and you will feel it click into the slot.

I hoe this has helped you and I am sorry if I scared you I just do not want to have you hurt that processor.

5. ShellBell7975

well, it looks like all the cables are tight. I dont know what the ram chips are or even what the processor looks like (the thing with the metal around it?) but I made sure all the plugs were in tight...the vid card and the other card (not sure what it is...memory?) are both tight also. Well, thankk you very much for all your help. I guess I just might have to take it in to have it checked.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

With these being tight and all I think that the best thing in this case. I wish you good luck.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes I think so because you could have bumped a ram stick or video card and so easy to create this problem putting in plugs from power supply. we can't help you if you don't know what those things are either that I can see.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/468916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice