1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please HELP! Just installed XP, how do i get rid of choosing "Win 98 or XP" Option!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hi!, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

Yes I messed up while trying to Start brand new with the XP home version.

Long story... but for you experts... Now when i start the computer it goes to a black screen and ask me to either choose Windows XP or Windows 98 (if nothing is pressed in 2 minutes it will default to first highlighted)

OK!! what's going on!! why is windows 98 still there? Can someone help me get rid of that Choosing Option so it'll jump startt to Windows XP home verison when i boot up the pc.. thanks for your help!!!

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

It looks like WinXP installed itself onto another partition. If you have your hard drive partitioned it will look to go there. You apparently didn't tell it to format and install on the C drive.

3. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

What can i do now? I try to reinstall XP to have it override anyother Os but got the same results.. What can i do now?? I'll redo it if i have too.. do i?

Will this affect my computer having two partiains?

here's what happened.. I was running on Windows ME and had much viruses.. So i rebooted with XP but choose Wrong option. It saved the old setting... so i thought i did something wrong so i installed in the Windows 98 boot up disk.. etc... Then i reinstalled XP again and then saw the Second option of Starting Brand New... OPPS!! now i'm stuck with this "choosing option" :(

please help!!

4. mobo

mobo

First thing youll need to do is see how many partitions there are on the hard drive. In xp right click "my computer" select "manage" then disk management..What are the drives listed in the graph below ?

5. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

I am at a different computer.. but it sounds like i have a partition for win 98 ... in the meantime.. can i have several suggestions? How do i combine the drives?

Should i just reinstall Windows 98 again and do setup on C drive? I think that's where i messed up? but when I reinstall XP shouldn't it just override win 98 no matter what drive its in? Will Two drives affect the memory or Hard drive space??

6. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    You need to alter your Boot.ini file.

7. DFC

DFC

You should boot off a Win98 floppy and fdisk your HD to clean partitions. Then install fresh XP.

8. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

I checked and it only has one thing and the D thing for the CD.. the NTFS has 7.65gbs left from a 12.12gb and it's freshly started???

would i break my computer if i keeping on rebooting and formatting? i did it like 6 times alreadly...

So when i boot off the Win98 floppy.. what do i choose?? and after i Fdisk it.. I don't have to choose anything eles in that Mode right?? I can just do a Fdisk and then C: setup

simple as that? Please help!! I'm new to this but can follow step by step instructions!!

Should i just leave it as it is Or is it better to remove it?

9. DFC

DFC

Get a 98 bootdisk at bootdisk.com. Boot off that floppy and fdisk c drive. Create a new partition after deleting old one. You can then format using the floppy or let your WinXP install do that. :cool:

10. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Before you get to crazy here........If you format, you are going to lose everything. As long as you are aware of that, were ok here.

If that is what you really want to do, it is pretty easy.
    You just need to boot from the WinXP CD and tell it to format the disc and then install WinXP clean.
    If youe WinXP Cd is an "up-grade" disc, somewhere during the installation process it will ask you to insert your Win98 disc. This will verify that you are elegible for the up-grade. It will then ask you to re-insert the WinXP CD to continue.

Again........If you do it this way, you will lose everything you had of your old system. Any documents, pictures, MP3s, etc.

11. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

Thanks for your help DFC, i already have a 98 standard bootdisk and did it like 4 times already!! i messed up once!! let.. is a boot disk same as a start up disk??

Please tell me what to do once i get to the black screen please. I try to delete a partition but i think i messed something up. After you give me instructions on how to delete and to create a New Partiton.. then what?? I escape out of Fdisk.. then do i just exit and reboot.. HOW do i do that?? or do i just do c: setup and load from Win98... I shouldn't have to do that right??"

Please help! thanks!!!

12. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

Longhair that's what i am trying to do.. I want to LOSE eveything i have and to start Fresh brand new!! I did thins like 4 times rebooting from XP.. it's not working.. I'm telling it to override the old Operating system but I keep on getting the "Choose XP or win 98" option.. I don't want to do a XP upgrade I'm asking it to Start Brand new.. Fresh.. not working

13. DFC

DFC

I've found that, with W2K anyway, that formatting without the fdisk first can leave you with the messed-up boot.ini. After you run fdisk, view partitions, delete partition, create partition. After that you should be able to boot from WinXP CD and install fresh load. LONGHAIR is right, all will be lost. Don't start back with Win98.

14. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

Please DFC.. after I do this Fdisk HOW do i exit?? I'm left at a Blank Black screen.. what do i type to boot from the Win XP cd??? I don't know what to do after that?? AND at the beginning it ask if i want to enable large disk support do i put Y or N ???

15. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice