1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help-log On Impossible!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by TechnicallyYours, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechnicallyYours

TechnicallyYours Thread Starter

I have a relatively new Dell XPS 410 running Windows XP Media Center Edition. I am extremely exasperated over a problem that seems unfixable. Every time I start the computer, I get a pop-up appearing right before the user log on screen. It says "Fixed" and will not let me exit out, so I can only perss "OK" to bypass it. The log on screen is normal and any user can be selected to log on. But, when selcted to log on, it loads personal settings, flashes the desktop and immediately logs off and saves the settings. I can not get to the desktop, so I can not scan for viruses or delete files. I really don't want to hear the computer is forever inoperable. Any advice would be appreciated! :confused:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

LOL. Whatever the problem, it's not fatal.

Have you tried Safe Mode?

3. TechnicallyYours

Why I am so concerned is, well, I've tried all of the F2, F8, F12 and CTRL-I boot menu items. They didnt help. At all. I cant discern whether it is a virus or a broken registry code or something... Just looking for suggestions short of a repair/install. :rolleyes: God, I hate Windows...

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

So you were not able to access Safe Mode? Does the Safe Mode option appear?

What recovery media do you have? Do you have an XP CD, for example, or is this one of the "hidden partition" machines?

5. TechnicallyYours

I have no XP disc for some reason and the options appeared, but did nothing. I am working on a slipstreamed boot disc that may or may not work, but I'm just pushing for some suggestions that might help my cause.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

The slipsreamed CD should help.

If you're using a USB keyboard or mouse, try an ordinary PS/2 one to see if the boot options work with those.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice