Please Help! Lost data after re-install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shnib

Hi. I have two Seagate 3tb XT internal drives and a Hitachi drive used as my boot drive. The two xt drives were partitioned due to the 2.1tb limit using Seagate drive wizard and have been working fine. I decided to clean up my PC and re-install Windows 7. I re-installed to the Hitachi drive which went fine but now both xt drives are only showing the larger partitions and the smaller partitions are showing as unallocated in drive wizard and disc management. I cannot add a drive letter or revive the partitions without losing the data as the only options available are to format or wipe the partitions. Am i missing something obvious here? I can't see how both drives could have become damaged in the space of an hour and i definitely did not format or change anything except to the Hitachi drive. I'm not really familiar with partitioning drives but i really can't see what i'm doing wrong, i just expected to see all four drive letters as they were before the re-install.

Would really appreciate some help with this as its an awful lot of data i've lost. Thanks in advance

A bit late now, but when you are re-installing Windows & you have several other hard drives connected, it's always advisable to remove/disconnect all of them except the one you are going to install Windows on (obviously).

Run the Error Checker on the other two drives to see if it detects & corrects any errors to the file system:
Right-click the drive and choose "Properties"
Click the "Tools" tab
Click "Check Now"
Tick both tick-boxes
Click "Start"

Partitions do not have intrinsic drive letters. Once you reinstalled, the letters for those drives were gone since they were in the registry.

How do those partitions appear in Disk Management? Can you just remove all the current partitions and repartition them? You must have backups if the data was anything you wanted to keep.

You can try Recuva or some other recovery tool. Testdisk can help with partition recovery, but with 3 TB drives with MBR partition tables, you are in somewhat uncharted territory.

Parted Magic (The best boot CD. Includes data recovery to CD/DVD, network, or USB, Testdisk for partition recovery, audio tests, web browser, and much more)
Testdisk (for Windows)
Testdisk Boot Floppy Image
Testdisk on Live CD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online