1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help! Lost text in Microsoft Word 2007 document

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by pinkpanther85710, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pinkpanther85710

pinkpanther85710 Thread Starter

So I am officially desperate! I worked on a project in Microsoft Word 2007. I then went to go open it the next day and all of the text was completely gone!! I am only a beginner when it comes to computers so I have absolutely no idea what happened.
    To better understand the problem here were the chain of events:
    I worked on 2 documents, saved them in a folder, and then closed MSWord
    I then worked on them the next day not realizing that for some reason they were opened as "Read Only"
    Seeing that, I copied the the text and saved them in new documents
    I went to Documents and attempted to move the new documents into the folder with the originals but an error message reading something like "this action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program" when the file was NOT open
    In my frustration I attempted to move it over and over again to no avail
    I gave up and closed the Documents folder and turned off my computer
    The very next day I went to open the project and both the original documents and the copied ones were COMPLETELY EMPTY!!!
    the files were still there but the all of text was completely gone!
    Through Microsoft forums I've repeatedly tried the "Recover Text from any File" and "Open and Repair" methods
    They've remained completely empty:mad:
    I don't think I can redo the project correctly in the time it is due! Please any info will help. Thanks

Also, if this helps- I tried to save another Document and MSW says "Word cannot complete this save due to a file permission error"

2. p0ng0

p0ng0

Have you tried opening temp files?
    This really is your only option here...

First, you need to view hidden files and folders... If you're not familiar with doing this, here are the steps:
    1. go to Control Panel
    2. open Folder Options
    3. click the View tab
    under 'Hidden files and folders' check the circle 'Show hidden files, folders and drives'.

Now go back to the folder where the word document is, or was, 'Documents/My Documents' or even your Desktop. You should, if any, see some files that look slightly ghostly... Try opening them in Word and see if they are anything similiar to the document.

If you don't see any files that may be that word document, you're not in much luck!

I hope this works for you!

For future reference, if a file is 'currently in use' and you know it isn't, go to the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and select the Processes tab and find MSWORD.EXE. Click End Process.

Bear in mind, Outlook uses MSWORD to compose e-mails, so be careful not to close an unsaved e-mail too!

Good luck!

3. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Depending upon tth windows version, you could right click on the file and the choose properties,

If there is tab Previous versions you could find a correcty saved document or documents.

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

Another thing (besides Word) that might be using the file is the indexing program within Windows or a similar program such as Google Desktop or Copernic Desktop Search. You can find out what process(es) are locking a file by running a program such as WhoLockMe.
    However, if you can't find your file in the temp files (and the name may have nothing at all to do with the name of your file,) sort the temp files by date and open any temp documents that match when you lost your file. Still, there is a good chance that you cut and pasted - rather than copied and pasted - the original file to the new one, and you have lost your work.

5. p0ng0

p0ng0

That's only if it's enabled... But worth a try!!!

6. pinkpanther85710

Thanks. I'll be sure to do that for open files now. And yes, I have tried looking for the temp file gah I think I've tried everything! It turns out that show hidden files has been check the whole time so i haven't found anything new :/ I'm starting to think that with all of the frantic moving and clicking and copying and pasting my files just self combusted.

7. pinkpanther85710

Oh I am trying my hardest to avoid downloading a program to find it. But, seeing all of the processes I've already used do you think it would really help?

8. pinkpanther85710

It isn't enabled :(

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/945519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice