1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help major problem with processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jasonxxx102, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jasonxxx102

jasonxxx102 Thread Starter

Im having a problem with my athlon 2.0 and when I turn it on the light in the front goes on but no video no keyboard no mouse nothing and I hear a wierd like beeping that goes from really fast to slow and its not from the motherboards beeper its a soft high pitched beep sounds like its coming from the processor can anybody help? All I did was 5 mins before take the heat sync off and put it back on exactely how it was and now when I take off the heatsync it smells like its burning almost like melting. Please help.

2. BG-0

BG-0

You're supposed to clean all the thermal paste at the bottom of the heat sink and apply a thin layer of new thermal paste every time you remove the heat sink. Go get some, apply it, and see if you haven't wrecked anything.

3. jasonxxx102

What will happen if I dont replace the thermal paste and keep the old stuff on and it smells burnt now? Did I already ruin it?

4. BG-0

BG-0

The processor has propably overheated. It is quite possible that you've broken your processor.

5. jasonxxx102

so now I have to buy a whole new processor and mother board... My one question would be how would a processor overheat within 30 seconds of being turned on?

6. BG-0

BG-0

It generates very much heat. Don't just yet buy a new processor, as the problem of no video and such may be because the processor refuses to run when it is so hot as it is. I'd recommend first wiping the old thermal paste off the heatsink's bottom, and buy and apply some new, then reseat the HS and try to run the computer.
    And even if the processor was broken, the motherboard should be perfectly fine.

7. jasonxxx102

Thanks I will do that but the only thing I dont understand is why would the processor emit a very soft high pitched beeping noise that got progressivly slower?

8. BG-0

BG-0

I have no idea. I once thought the only thing on a barebone setup able to emit sounds was the PC beeper until one of my friend's hard drives started "singing" to us. After that experience I wouldn't be suprised by any sound coming from any piece of PC hardware.

9. jasonxxx102

My harddrive screamed at me once when I started it up XD It wanted me to replace the bad data cables. I can play a few songs with using the different sounds coming from the computers. Me and my friends annoy the hell out of the computer teacher and he doesnt know what is going on. We also like to put sticky keys on his computer it makes him so mad.

10. BG-0

BG-0

Lol. It's nice when your computer teacher's so clueless about something you know everything about. :p Good luck with the issue.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice