1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help.. Massive computer Failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Richard Hale, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Richard Hale

Richard Hale Thread Starter

I recently had a problem on my computer where Internet explorer was not working and would'nt open, and no windows based functions that used the explorer interface would work... So i downloaded the IE7 install package on my other computer and burned to disk to install.... everything was going along fine, and when prompted to restart to finsih the installation i did so..... that is when "it" hit the fan..... upon restart i got this message.

autochk program not found skipping autochk

STOP:C000021A {FATAL SYSTEM ERROR}

THE SESSION MANAGER INITIALIZATION SYSTEM PROCESS TERMINATED UNEXPECTEDLY WITH A STATUS OF 0XC000003A
    (0X00000000 0X00000000)
    THE SYSTEM HAS SHUT DOWN

I then tried to start in safemode, last known good configuration, and command prompt .. and none will work..... Please help... i am at a loss at the moment.

Thank you in advance.

2. flashsnaps

flashsnaps

Hi,
    When booting up do you get this error message after the Windows logo?
    And the error message is in a white text with a blue background (bsod)?

3. Richard Hale

Richard Hale Thread Starter

Yea the WIndows logo comes up, and yea white text blue background.

4. flashsnaps

flashsnaps

awww....nice! - blue screen of death!

Your need to open up your computer and find out what the brand of the harddrive is - will say on it, while doing this can you check all your cables are in place and that no RAM has been dislodged.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Do you have Roxio GoBack (Part of Norton SystemWorks) installed?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316503

Do you dual boot with Linux, or have you used Partition Magic to resize a partition?
    This thread covers those situations, seems to be that the XP partition somehow gets set to hidden. -- this could be caused by one of those random glitches that just happen as well.
    using a utility to un-hide the partition seems to be the solution. http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1027465246

Could be a disk error. Use the XP CD to boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r
    Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
    Using the fixmbr and fixboot commands might be needed as well
    A discussion about the Bootcfg command and its uses

It would be best if you can back up any data on the drive before attempting any of the above. Putting the drive into an external enclosure so you can connect to another PC using USB, or connecting it internally to another PC (just need power and data, doesn't have to be physically installed) should let you copy any data you need. You may want to run Antivirus/antispyware before copying anything -- your original problem may have been caused by virus/malware

This article explains how to get around the Access Denied errors that usually happen:
    How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

If all else fails, a repair install of windows might work and would hopefully not delete your files. Guide to Reinstall of Windows

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice