Please help me catch my girlfriend in a lie...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

demonchild2

I believe my ex-girlfriend deleted several of my resume files from a floppy disc over the Thanksgiving holiday, while I was out of town. I am trying to see if there is a log file that allows me to see WHEN and WHAT files have been deleted from the recycle bin. That way, I can tell if the files were deleted without my knowledge, or simply just "lost" from the floppy disc. Is there a way to do this, since the files were on a floppy???

Suddently half the files are gone, and this is VERY suspicious. Could they have just vanished into thin air????

Any help you could give would be SO greatly appreciated....this is driving me crazy.

Thank you very much!!

demonchild2

That's a good point. A few minutes ago, some strange icons started appearing on my C drive. JPG files now have a bizarre icon that looks like a life preserver! How odd. Anyway, I restarted my computer and the icons are back to normal.

But if that was a virus that just colored my icons, it couldn't have just deleted half my disc, would it??

Anyway, if my ex-gf did delete the files, she would have had to sneak into my apartment. Hmmmmm. Knowing her, she IS capable.

Thanks for the suggestion....

demonchild2

Ok, well Norton Antivirus did not find any viruses on my system or on my floppy drive. Hmmmmm...

I am going to bed, but I will try those utilities you mentioned tomorrow. I'll post what happens...

Thanks for the help....

DC

demonchild...go here also www.moosoft.com download "the cleaner" its a free 30 day trial,scan your box for trojans.......very important!!
good luck.

demonchild2

Will this "cleaner" perform the same function as NORTON ANTIVIRUS (the virus scanner that I own)?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

DC

NORTON ANTIVIRUS will miss some Trojans. It is always a good idea to have both an Anti-Virus & Trojan scanner.
Also make sure to run your updated regularly for both.

go to bigbrother.com and download the demo. it will show you everything that is done on the comp even if its deleted.

demonchild2

Thank you all for the help. I will definitely check out all the programs you have mentioned!

DC

demonchild2

Savvy Lady....I downloaded the first ap you mentioned and performed a virus scan and it was clean.

Then I downloaded ad-aware and it found "127 identified files." Should I delete all these files? What does "identified" mean? They're infected with viruses? Why didn't Norton Antivirus or the other program pick up on them?

Thanks...

DC

You might try doing this:

>> put the floppy with the remaining files in the drive and launch Find Files

>> in the Name and Location Window, browse to and select the 'a' drive

>> click on the Date tab and set the range to scan for those days when you were away.

>> set the Find Files for "last accessed"

Now if any of the remaining files were opened during that period, Find Files should flag them. Of course, if you have opened them since, it would nullify the search.

demonchild2

Thanks for all your help. I downloaded most of those programs (with the exception of BIG BROTHER. It is just a webcam sight, and when I click the 2nd link there, it requires payment for their Spector software...didn't see any shareware).

The only program that found anything was AD-AWARE, and I deleted most of the files it found. That still doesn't tell me if my ex-gf deleted my resume files or not. I suppose I will never know.

Thanks for all the help...

DC

Add-aware finds spyware, it is not a virus or a trojan, but it does effect your system performance, if you use add-aware to remove the spyware usually the programs associated with it will cease to function, which is ok in my book.

Go here : http://www.alphalink.com.au/~johnf/dspypdf.html to learn more about spyware, it is included with lots of "FREEWARE" programs, so research freebies before you d/l. As far as what effect spyware has with your specific problem, I can't tell, but I have never heard of spyware removing any files, so while spyware should be dealt with, doubt it is causing your problem, I am sure you will find help here if you pursue your problem, These people are GREAT...Rhett

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online