1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

please help me choose the right laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by discoveryviky, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. discoveryviky

discoveryviky Thread Starter

i am about to buy a laptop, one option is intel core i3 third generation with amd radeon 2gb 8730m and the other option is intel core i5 with nvidia gt 630m 1gb with same ram. I want gaming performance to be good. I know that amd radeon 8730m is better than nvidia gt 630m, but the processor is better with nvidia(i5). Please help me choose between one of them for a better gaming performance.

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I don't game, but the more ram you have the better. The most standard of computers today have 4gb of ram and the most you have is 2gb. I personally think you will need more ram than that, especially for intense gaming.

3. Simba7

Simba7

No.. The OP is taking about the graphics card's memory, not the system memory.

I'd go with the Core i5. It's a Quad Core processor unlike the i3. You're going to need processing power for decent gaming. Also, the GT 630M is alright.. just don't max out the settings in your games.

I have an Asus G53SX (last year's model) and it still runs even the recent games perfectly.

Also, what is your budget on a laptop?

4. discoveryviky

thanks for the reply. its really a good advice.its around $900. please suggest me some good laptop in this price range.
    amd is offering 2gb graphic card and nvidia 1gb. Wont that make a difference?

5. Robsy128

Robsy128

I would go for the i5 with the Nvidia graphics card. It can handle more at one time (which is always useful for gaming) and I find Nvidia to be better than AMD most of the time. It really depends what games you'll want to be playing, though. Some are more CPU intensive than anything else out there (i.e. GW2).

6. discoveryviky

amd is giving hd 8730 which is comparable to nvidia gt 640 and in i5 i am being offered nvidia gt 630. Won`t this make a difference?

7. Simba7

Simba7

It's mostly the processor. The Core i3 is a dual core. The Core i5 is a quad core.

$900? Where are you located? That seems a bit high since I paid $800 for mine stock (of course, it was a BF sale in 2011).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230454
    ..it's a little heavier (mostly due to the amount of copper inside), but this laptop should handle gaming for the next 2-3 years and normal stuff for at least 10. It also has a full HD 17" screen.
    Basically, this is the 17" version of my laptop.

..or this one..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152388
    This one is a little smaller.. but with decent specs.

8. discoveryviky

i am from India. So, the cost is much more and that's the main problem

9. discoveryviky

now i got a new configuration with intel core i5 in both laptops and one is giving amd radeon 7650m 2gb and the other one nvidia gt 630m 1gb. which one is better?

10. Simba7

Simba7

I'd suggest the GT 630m. According to a few laptop and gamer sites, they're rather close to each other in terms of performance. The GT 630m is slightly better, though.

If you're gaming, I would suggest going for the one with the most dedicated VRAM, though.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice