1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help me delete my MSN Icon

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by berad, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. berad

berad Thread Starter

(windows 98)
    I've recently removed MSN from my system and the desktop icon for "MSN internet access" cannot be deleted.

I've tried multiple remedys to include:

• renaming then trying to delete
    • boot with command prompt only then cd windows/desktop, the execute del MSNInt~1.*
    • add/remove from control panel
    • remove everything containing "msndc.exe" from the registry
    Please help me delete this pesky icon from my desktop.

2. buf

buf

I have never used this method and I had it saved, searched for it and now pass it on to you for your consideration. Be careful if you follow these steps because you don't wanna mess up your registry. Good luck to you.

SUMMARY
    This article describes how to remove the MSN or The Microsoft Network icon from your desktop.

MORE INFORMATION
    WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

To remove the MSN or The Microsoft Network icon from your desktop, delete the following registry key, and then restart the computer:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{88667D10-10F0-11D0-8150-00AA00BF8457}

Additional query words: msnet msnetwork microsoft-net m.s.n. MSN Delete Icon

Keywords : kbenv kbmsn
    Version : WINDOWS:2.0,2.5,2.51,2.52,2.6,5.0,5.1,95,98,98 Second Edition
    Platform : WINDOWS
    Issue type : kbhowto kbinfo
    Technology :

Last Reviewed: June 26, 2000
    © 2000 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use.

3. berad

berad Thread Starter

BRILLIANT!! Thank you buf, I've spent much too long on this problem. That was the last msn registry entry. It was tricky because it doesn't turn up in a search for msn. It worked great.

B

4. buf

buf

berad, you are welcome and I am glad your problem has now been eliminated. I too am a formerMSN user and I had to remove the icon from my desktop. I first searched my document files looking for a note I may have made on the subject but could not find one and so I posted the registry answer for you. I still don't recall how I removed my icon!!
    Thank you for posting back and letting us know your results. Oh yeah, welcome to TSG!! Good people here and getting better.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice