Please help me get photos off laptop onto USB

MandiB

Hi my father passed away 2 months ago. I want to get photos off an old hp laptop onto USB stick ASAP as laptop is on its way out it turns on but no longer works. Windows 7
I also wanted to know if there was a way to print or transfer text messages from an iPhone so I can keep the ones from my dad forever. Help with this would be much appreciated 🤞 I’m useless when it comes to technology

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First of all, I want to pass on my deepest condolences on the loss of your father. We lost our mother last month to COVID, so I know how gut-wrenching this is for you and your family.

There are a couple of ways to get at the data on the hard disk drive (HDD), but they can get a little fiddly. One way is to use a Linux Live flash drive, boot from there, and then use it to pull files from the HDD. The other way would be to pull the drive from the laptop, connect it to a docking station and, in turn, connect this via USB to a working PC. That way, you can mount the drive and pull the files from there.

Clearly, these options may be daunting if you're not too familiar with computer systems, so it might be worthwhile seeing if there are any local computer stores who may be able to do this for you for a nominal fee.

With respect to the text messages, I have used an application called iMazing for backing up my iPhone, managing files, etc. One of the features of this application is the ability to pull up text messages and print them off directly, or even save them to a different file format for printing later, e.g. a PDF file.

Others may be able to offer you alternatives, but at least these are a few to get the ball rolling.

MandiB

Thank you so much for your reply. So sorry to hear about your mother. Losing a loved one is so hard & I’m sorry for your loss. I will try the things you suggested (wish you were here to help me haha)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online