1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help Me...log On Impossible!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TechnicallyYours, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechnicallyYours

TechnicallyYours Thread Starter

I have a relatively new Dell XPS 410 running Windows XP Media Center Edition. I am extremely exasperated over a problem that seems unfixable. Every time I start the computer, I get a pop-up appearing right before the user log on screen. It says "Fixed" and will not let me exit out, so I can only perss "OK" to bypass it. The log on screen is normal and any user can be selected to log on. But, when selcted to log on, it loads personal settings, flashes the desktop and immediately logs off and saves the settings. I can not get to the desktop, so I can not scan for viruses or delete files. I really don't want to hear the computer is forever inoperable. Any advice would be appreciated! :confused:

2. Karnivore

Karnivore

Will it start in safe mode? (press F8 at startup).

If so, go to start, run, type msconfig and disable all in the startup tab - then try again.

3. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Maybe. THat is if you can get into safe mode.

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
    To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps: 1. Start your computer.
    2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
    3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER

4. TechnicallyYours

I've tried Safe Mode, I've tried last good configuration, I've tried the command console and restore mode, as well as every boot option available. No dice. Like I said, this is a pretty serious problem and I'd really not prefer to do a Repair/Install.

5. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Since no remedy for the problem seems forthcoming looks like you will have to post a Hyjack this log and let the Gurus ferret out a fix.

6. TechnicallyYours

Unfortunately, I havent been here long and am unfamiliar with the process of handing over a thread to the higher-ups. :D

7. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Just post in the Security forum and someone will help you.

8. TechnicallyYours

Thank you, I hope my luck will change soon. :rolleyes:

9. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

I must tell you that the Mods will frown on the fact that you have your problem posted in two forums. My fault i should have told you to delete this one.

I have this suggestion from a buddy of mine.

try doing a check disc from recovery console

typ in chkdsk /r from the recovery console

put the windows cd....boot from any key...after set-up completes...press R to get to recovery console
    then type this in chkdsk /r press enter

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice