Please help me... lost in the new Windows 10 world

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Scoe

My navigation to the new world order with Microsoft has gone poorly. Any suggestions or insight on my issues below would be welcome. I work in isolation so I have no one to ask about this stuff and I'm too busy working to care much about how it works, I just want it to work...

Email... Windows Live Mail 2012 worked fine for me. Outlook and Windows Mail have proven worthless. Can I continue with WLM 2012?

Email Contacts... I have a lot. I have put info in the "notes" that is easily referenced with WLM. Outlook or Windows Mail don't recognize these notes. My contacts are often a mess but attempts at "cleanup" have been a disaster. Any tips on how to manage contacts with email and be able to group email based on what is in the notes?

Cloud... I hate the cloud. I want my files on my computer only. I don't share. I don't understand when I am logged on to MSFT account or what it is doing. The ony thing I want to sync across platforms are my contacts. Why does MSFT want me to log in just to use my computer? I would probably use the cloud if I knew where my files were and they looked like they do on a hard drive. I never know where my stuff is or how it gets there.

Office 365 .... I'm still using Office 2003. All attempts to upgrade have been terrible. Mostly, I crunch numbers. Math hasn't changed. Excel 2016 is terribly slow for me. Why ? In Excel, my conditional formatting in Office 365 causes crashes and many other issues. Sometimes, I click on a file and it opens two Excel windows. The quirks are never-ending.I would like to live in the modern world, but I was so happy when I went back to 2003 after two months.

Office 365... Email... when I put Office 2003 back on my system, it disabled all my Office365. I would like to only use Excel 2003 but the rest of Office 365 seems fine. Apparently, you can't mix and match and have to go back completely. Also, when I went back, my Outlook email died. That's ok, I hated it anyway. But WLM doesn't support some of my email accounts.

I could go on for days... but that's enough. I hate to whine and be a dinosaur, but my productivity has suffered and I can't seem to get out of the funk. Any help appreciated.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 12147 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 919 GB (426 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0X3VCM
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

etaf

Wayne
I assume these questions are because you are using a new PC with windows 10
What was your old PC and is it still working ?

Email, yes you can still rum WLM on windows 10 , BUT you will need to set it up differently if you are using a microsoft email account like, hotmail or outlook.com.
As MS has upgrade their servers and nolonger support WLM (but you can use it connected as IMAP)

Email contacts: Depends on what email you are using , and if the contacts are synchronised to the email service, if so then nothing needs to be done
Otherwise you will need to export the contacts onto a CSV file and re-import them into the new email system

Thunderbird https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/ is a good email client and may be worth considering as a replacement

Cloud, I assume this is onedrive as you mention Microsoft , youdont have to use onedrive
you also do not need to use a microsoft account to log into the PC

office 365 and excel
excel 2003 is nolonger support, and mau have security issues

Office 365 is a product that Microsoft sales , its a subscription service to use MSOfficesuite and also a business system
So, i'm not sure what you have as you seem to talk about office365 and office 2003 which are different products
office 365 will also update the products so, when it was first released office 2013 was installed and then providing you continued to subscribe it would update to 2016

Why ? In Excel, my conditional formatting in Office 365 causes crashes and many other issues
In 2003 conditional formatting was quite limited , so i'm surprised office 2016 does not support that , i use quite complicated conditional formatting sometimes with 20 plus rules and icons and complex logic - and mine runs OK
so maybe another issue - or perhaps the files are just huge ?

and i7 with 12GB ram should work very well,
i'm only using an i5 and 6GB ram and excel works well

I think it would be worth separating these issues into different threads in different forums , otherwise any replies may get complicated

perhaps we close this thread and
open a new email issues in web and email forum
open a new office issues in business applications forum

with a bit more detail
for email
what email address you have , just the bit after the @
what PC and windows version you are using
you mention
WLM
Windows mail - which is not supported on windows 7 or later versions
outlook, I assume you mean outlook 2003 program

Scoe

Thanks....

I think my post turned into more of a rant. I have had so many issues, that my entire productivity just ceases. I will try to work them one at a time and come here for help with specifics on specific problems. Thank you.

etaf

Wayne
your welcome, i thought i detected frustration in the thread :)
we will all be here waiting to help with any specifics

Thanks....

I think my post turned into more of a rant. I have had so many issues, that my entire productivity just ceases. I will try to work them one at a time and come here for help with specifics on specific problems. Thank you.
Don't feel bad, Scoe, your frustrations with Win10 are shared by many. Since you say you work in isolation, I'm assuming you are not in great need of sending & receiving MSO (Microsoft Office) files with other people. If that's true the non-support & security issues of the older MSO 2003 version may not be a problem.

After looking over your list of problems, may I suggest that you stick with the older MSO 2003 if it basically runs ok in Win10, an then try to find alternatives to Microsoft products to solve all your other issues. For example, go with Thunderbird for your Email client and uninstall all other MSO products you mentioned except the MSO 2003.

Thunderbird Email will take some time to get used to but at least you won't have to worry about the program constantly changing every few years and being forced to upgrade and learning new ways to do the same old things.

--pete--

TonyB25

Banned
Most of your questions are about email and documents. Have you looked at a Chromebook?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online