1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help me! My user32.dll has been deleted!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gary500, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary500

Gary500 Thread Starter

When I boot my other computer up, after it loads up it says

"STOP:cOOOO135 {unable to locate component} This application has failed to start because user32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

How can re-install user32.dll? Please, I don't know that much about computers. Can you help me? My other computer is Windows XP.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

Do you have the Windows XP CD?
    If so, you can boot into the Recovery Console and copy the file from the CD.

Note that if you have a SATA hard Drive, the XP CD may not be able to detect your hard drive, so this won't work. In that case, you'll need either the SATA driver on a floppy disk, or an XP disk with the SATA driver slipstreamed in.
    Other options are using a Live CD or connecting the hard drive to a different PC to copy the file.​

Boot from the CD and Press R at the first screen to use the Recovery Console
    The Windows installations will be displayed, usually just C:\Windows
    If you have more than one be sure to select the correct one
    You'll be asked for the Administrator password. Type in the password, or just hit enter if there is no password

This should leave you at a C:\Windows prompt.
    Type the following:
    map
    -- Note the drive letter of the CDROM drive and use it where I've used D below (in red)
    Type the following:
    cd system32
    copy D:\i386\user32.dll

Remove the CD, then type exit

HTH

Jerry

3. Gary500

Gary500 Thread Starter

Thank you. But where do you get the CD?

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If the PC shipped from the manufacturer with XP installed, they may have given you an OS CD, or a Recovery CD; some Recovery CDs have an option to boot to the Recovery Console. The path to the i386 folder may be different though, or may not exist at all.

Most any XP CD can be used to get to the Recovery Console, but to copy files it's best to use a CD that has the same Service Pack as is installed on the PC.

If you don't have an XP CD, you can download an ISO image from my website and burn that to a CD. Make sure you burn that as an ISO file, you can't just copy the file onto a CD. If you need an ISO burner, this free one is one I've found useful.
    These images do not have any SATA drivers included so they may not work if your PC has a SATA hard drive. They also don't include the user32.dll file, but you might be able to copy it from the dllcache folder on your PC.

The command for that, once you are in the Recovery Console and have switched to the system32 folder, would be
    copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\user32.dll

If you get a file not found error, then the file was deleted from there as well. In which case you'll need to find the XP CD.

HTH

Jerry

5. Gary500

Gary500 Thread Starter

Wow, thanks a lot. ^_^

6. Gary500

Gary500 Thread Starter

Which one of the service packs should I use? I have professional.

7. Gary500

Gary500 Thread Starter

Anyone?

8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you aren't sure what service pack you have installed on your system, I would suggest using a Service Pack 2 disk. As you won't be copying the file from this disk, a version mismatch won't be a problem.

HTH

Jerry

9. DSW75

DSW75

Hello to anyone who can help me out. I followed the instructions above (as I have the exact same problem with the USER32.DLL being missing) but when I go to copy from the SP2 XP disc it gives me the message:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

I know D is my CD drive so don't know why this isn't showing up. I urgently need to get back up and running so am willing to donate to anyone who can help me resolve this rapidly. Thanks!

DSW

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

It's better to start your own thread and include a link back to the one similar to yours. Helps avoid confusion.

It could be the file on your CD is compressed, so it's named user32.dl_ (I've got one disk with it one way and one with it the other).
    So use this command instead of the copy command:
    expand d:\i386\user32.dl_ c:\windows\system32\user32.dll

The cd system32 command is not needed either as we are specifying the destination.

HTH

Jerry

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice