1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help me, Need help installing A Philips Internal CDRW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MysticGohan1, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MysticGohan1

MysticGohan1 Thread Starter

I'm having trouble getting it working. I have everything hooked up. But the manual doesn't cover alot. I have it on the same IDE cable as my Hard Drive the second connector. But my Computer doesn't detect it when it starts up after rebooting. It's a Philips 24x12x40 CDRW.

My computer is and Acer/Aspire 300Mhz K-amd. Did I do something wrong? and the jumper on the CDRW is on slave. My IDE cable on the CDROM has only one connector but my Hard floppy has two but the second connector on it is different from the rest. As it's bigger and has over 30 pin holes. and the HardDrive has two which I'm using and they both fit.

any Idea's on what's up? I want both my CD and CDRW to be on the computer.

2. MysticGohan1

Someone Please help me. I've run out of ideas here.

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there MysticGohan1...

What you may need to do is to go into the BIOS, and set the IDE channel that the CDRW is connected, to Auto for both Type and Mode ( not sure of the BIOS that you have, but it should be under the Standard Settings )...

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    first make the jumper on the cd-rw drive is indeed on slave. Then make sure the jumper on the harddrive is set to master or slave present NOT cable select. Secondly make sure the power connector is securley plugged in and that the red line on the the side of the ide cable is toward the power connector. Now watch as the computer boots up - does it find the drive? Don't bother trying to autodetect it in the bios setup - most don't. If all this fails try putting in on the second ide channel instead of the cd-rom drive and see if it works.

5. MysticGohan1

I'll try that. where would I find that under system devices? How'll can I enable the second IDE in the plug n play bios?

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Yo Triple6...

I had a Philips 4x burner...and the only way it would work is to set it to Auto in the BIOS...

7. MysticGohan1

How can I get into Bios and set auto detect? also I can't tell what my hard drice is one. It doesn't show the MA SL OR CS symbols. there's like two plastic pieces on it, on going veritical on the very left pin and one horizontal on the center.

8. MysticGohan1

I'm using Windows98, is there a way to get into bios as the computer boots up to enable the second IDE cable?

9. plschwartz

plschwartz

MYSTICGOHAN1
    Let us try again. Part of the problem is that Your system goes back into the past so far that mens minds become clouded. Let us try to clear away the cobwebs of time.
    First you have to get into the BIOS via set-up. When you first start the computer you get a black and white screen telling you about basic components. Some where near the bottom should be a little not about getting into set-up. Often it is to press delete, sometimes escape sometimes f1 (more variable in older systems)
    After you get there mess around and tell us what you next need help with.
    I expect you got the Philips oem, so no cable. Do yourself a favor and get a pair of new HDD cables and maybe a floppy too. Cables that old are a disaster waiting to happen. You want then each with two connectors and long enough to easily reach--Measure it.

10. MysticGohan1

the computer is a 98' model. The cables seem fine unless you mean their outdated. There are two connectors on each cable except the one running to the CDROM the Hard Drive and Floppy have two each but the HD is the only one that will fit with the second connector.

i'll try your advice about getting into setup. Thanks:)

11. MysticGohan1

None of those thing's got me into setup. is there any other's I should try?

12. plschwartz

plschwartz

At http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=hard+drive+cable
    there are 24 inch three position hdd etc cables 3for $5.5 including shipping. You will have an extra for a friend. Possibly help you get more out of your system.
    As for the key to getting into setup, there are no instructions on your first screen? I have never come across that so i have no idea. I went to the Acer websitehttp://www.acersupport.com/desktop/html/downloads.html and found that the aspire is general name for many different models.
    Why dont you go there and look around.

13. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Hi Mystic,

Boot your computer and when you hear the first beep----immediately hit Crtl-Alt-Esc at the same time to enter the BIOS setup. Once there, go to Standard Setup and set the Primarys and Secondarys to AUTO. Save and exit.

Put the Hard Drive on the cable with the single connection.

Put the CDR (jumpered to MA) and the CDRW (jumpered to SL) on the cable with the two connection sockets. The Hard Drive is already set (jumpered) so don't mess with them.

Start your computer and proceed.

Spaceman

14. MysticGohan1

I have switched the cables around and put a single on the HD and the double on the CD-ROM and CD-RW but I seem to have trouble trying to get into bios setup when the computer boots up. I see something's that pop up right before the windows startup screen. Something new is on it something about Micrsoft f?

I have the CD rom on Master and CDRW on Slave

15. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Try this to get into the Bios:

Boot the computer and hold down the Crtl key. The screen should change and at the bottom ---hopefully, it will say,"Press F1 to continue"----"press Crtl-Alt-Esc to enter Setup".

Getting into an Acer bios is kinda' tricky.

Spaceman

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice