1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help me overclock my Athlon X2 5000+

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darwin226, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darwin226

Darwin226 Thread Starter

Now, I'm trying to get some more performance out of my CPU since it's getting somewhat old now and I think it might help.
    I really don't know how to explain my motherboard specs but I'll try.
    The manufacturer is nVidia.
    The model is NF-MCP68
    The chipset - nVidia GeForce 7025
    Southbridge - nVidia nForce 630a
    I also know that there's Biostar somewhere there since their logo is shown on boot up.

As for BIOS, it's brand is
    Pheonix Technologies, LTG
    Version 6.00 PG

The other reason I wanted to overclock is because I have the black edition of the CPU that supposedly has an unlocked multiplier, so why not take advantage of that.
    The problem is, I don't know how to modify that multiplier. In BIOS there's only an option to up the CPU voltage (by 3, 6 or 10 percent) and up the CPU clock (but I think that's actually the FSB clock)

I didn't fiddle with the voltage but I did try changing the clock. The accepted range is 200-450 with 200 being the default but when I tried setting it to 250, there was an error on bootup and I had to reset it.
    With some trial and error I found out that the highest setting allowed is 229 which ups the clock of my CPU core from 2.6 to ~3 ghz
    Unfortunately, even though the stability test passed, the PC froze up after a short time playing a game.

Naturally, I'm a bit saddened by this but I figured I'd still ask for advice since there are surely more options to explore.
    I'd also like to try software overclocking.
    I'm running Win 7 64 bit and all the software I tried failed to work.
    AMD overdrive wouldn't start since the motherboard isn't theirs.
    nTune only allows me to test the stability, the options for overclocking are simply gone
    ClockGen is also missing the sliders to control the clock.

Is there anything else that I could try?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, have you read the overclocking guide at the top of the forum?

Next nvidia does not mfg mb; they make the chipsets that are used by mb makers. Is this a big box system ie hp, dell, whatever OR is this a custom build?

3. Darwin226

Darwin226 Thread Starter

It's not a big box system and the data I gave you is from CPU-Z
    [​IMG]

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are going to have to find out the mb. As I said nvidia does NOT make mb; they make the chipsets used by a variety of board makers. You have not answered if you read the guide at the top of the page.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

You stated; "I also know that there's Biostar somewhere there since their logo is shown on boot up."

If you are seeing a Biostart splash screen on boot up then it's likely a Biostar board. Open the chassis an get the make, model and revision number off the board. It should be stenciled on the board.

6. Darwin226

Darwin226 Thread Starter

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I cannot tell you if that is the board you have. You are the only one who can do that. Open the case and look; the brand and model # of your board should be silkscreened on the board.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I just checked the online manual for that mb and it just about useless in regard to bios menus and settings. It does show an overclocking app that you can install however IMO all overclocking should be done manually in the bios NOT with a software app.

9. Darwin226

Darwin226 Thread Starter

Ok then. The problem remains.
    Since upping the FSB by less than 15% caused the CPU to overheat, there's obviously no point in trying that.
    I was just thinking that there might be some smart combination of FBS and the multiplier that will let me get some more power but since I can't change the multiplier (due to my BIOS not having that option) I guess that goes down the drain as well.
    Thanks for your time.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No problem. Biostar boards are fine for basic use ie office apps, email, etc. They are not the greatest overclockers. If you want to overclock, you use an asus or gigabyte board.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice