1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

please help me prove ti my ISP something wrong on their end.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by turbow5, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbow5

turbow5 Thread Starter

Look at our ping to the server. All 3 of us live within a mile of each other, have the same ISP, live in a town and we aren't the same anymore. We used to have 60 ping to everything and less when we hosted a local server.

However over a year ago my crappy ISP said something was wrong with our lines and shut off the internet to fix it and it has never been the same since. I'm Suppose to be getting 12 meg and have been wanting to downgrade to 6 Mb because I don't even get over 7 most of the time because I'm afraid there going to screw it up somehow.

To every server we play on, it doesn't matter how close the server is, The person with 3Mb has the ping we are all suppose to have to the server. I have 12 Mb and I have a base line of ~80 and my friend who has 6 Mb has a base ~100+. What happen to the 60 or less? no one ever knows.

We have contacted the ISP several times and they act like they don't know what latency is. They usually end up acting like its not that big of a deal. You can't win if your opponent has 40 ping and you have 100+.

All our computers are great. No process lagg or graphic lagg, we've disabled firewalls anti viruses, you name it odds are we've done it. It's not just one game either, Its ALL games.

When we host local servers, you would expect us all to have 10 ping because we're less than a mile apart from each other. No...We have 300 ping to each other....if we're lucky. I've done a trace route to several different websites and servers and it's not us. It jumps when it goes threw windstream.

Why don't we just switch ISPs? simply because we don't have anyone else to turn to.. Windstream is he only ISP in my town.

There are things I am forgetting to say I know but please if you have any ideas on what we can do, say or just..anything. PLEASE SUGGEST IT.

Photo to large to upload. http://www.mediafire.com/view/?mll3sz6vq6m7c3r#

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does your ISP advertise or guarantee any type of ping times through their network? If not, they just may say, "So what?", when you show them your ping times. The fact that all of you are less than a mile apart may not matter if all of you have to go through a central office miles away.

You may also wish to check your ISP's terms of service for your account. It may specifically state that customers are not allowed to run servers. If it does say that and you tell them your are running servers, you may be faced with a cutoff in service or being forced into a commercial account that allows running servers.

3. turbow5

turbow5 Thread Starter

Unfortunately no they do not garrentee any ping times but I know they don't care if I'm running severs.

I checked a tracert to google once more and the guy with 40 ping more than me goes threw 3 more stops than I do. Which I found odd..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice