1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help me quick!!

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by bikerbcs, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bikerbcs

bikerbcs Thread Starter

I'm having a problem, I have a template from clantemplates.com, it's the killzone one.
    Its just a folder which contains the index.html then the images and .swf in seperate folders.. I uploaded the whole folder to my site through ftp and when I go to my site I get "You don't have permission to access / on this server."

It worked when I had it under my sub-directory, like pretend my domain is domain.com, when I first got my host up there was a sub directory called domain.com so it was domain.com > domain.com, I uploaded it to that sub directory and it worked fine when I CLICKED on the template folder, the site would show up, but I wanted it so that right when I type in my domain which would be domain.com it would go straight to my site not some directory crap so what I did was delete that sub directory and uploaded the folder straight to the domain address now I'm getting that "You don't have permission to access / on this server." everytime I go to my site.
    Sorry if that confuses you somehow, trying to explain what I did best as possible.
    Please help I want to get my site up and working by tonight if possible

Also I don't know if this matter but the index file is .html not .htm
    And the images/flash links in my .html file use ./ before it.

Thanks if you can help.

2. bikerbcs

bikerbcs Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I have another problem too... The flash part of my template isn't appearing on my website, also even though my ftp client says that I successfully upload the .swf it doesn't appear in the .swf folder so I'm thinking this has sometihng to do with why it isn't appearing right on my site, any help for that also? Thanks.

3. tpamet

tpamet

You might have a file permission problem.
    Try chmodding the swf files, index.html, and domain.com/ (or whatever directory index.html and the swf files are in) to 666.

I don't know what FTP program you're using, but here's how to chmod using SmartFTP (at bottom):
    http://www.phpjunkyard.com/ftp-chmod-tutorial.php

4. Freeware

Freeware

best to just send a question-packed email to your web host support, or ask in your web host's support forum if they have one. otherwise, try to tackle the technical stuff as suggested above - try changing file permissions, but be careful if you don't know what you're doing because you could be compromising the security of your site and any private or otherwise sensitive info there (if you have any).

5. cpscdave

cpscdave

For the record the correct chmod value for websites usually is 755.

If you do 666 it will grant permission for any group to read and write the file. 755 grants you to read/write/execute and all other group to read and execute.

6. bikerbcs

bikerbcs Thread Starter

I got the template to work I don't get the you don't have permission stuff, what I did was change the folder name containing the swf/index/images to the name of my domain name and now it works.
    The flash still isn't showing up though, I can't figure out why. I right click the blank space and it says Adobe Flash > Movie Not Loaded and doesn't do anything.
    In my html file I updated the location of the flash I put ./domainname.com/flashfile.swf which I am pretty sure is the right location.

7. tpamet

tpamet

Ok, cpscdave, I thought it might be it, but wasn't sure.

bikerbcs, don't put ./domainname.com part - you only need to put flashfile.swf. The / in front of flashfile.swf (/flashfile.swf) is optional, because it's in the same directory (/domainname) and at the root (http://domainname.com/flashfile.swf).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice