1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help Me Read My Failed Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bcrossan, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcrossan

bcrossan Thread Starter

I have a PC that recently started giving me some kernel errors and is not able to boot any longer (gets stuck at the boot in Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration screen). I have tried various methods to repair the Windows installation without any success. I am now focused on retrieving the data from the drive. So far this has proven to be difficult. I removed the drive and put it in a powered external enclosure and tried to read the drive from 3 different PCs. I cannot get the drive to come up on the My Computer screen. It is recognized as a new device in the task bar though :confused:. This drive was supposed to be in a RAID 1 array with a drive exactly like it. But as I have discovered as part of my work to retrieve data I did something wrong in the setup and it was not mirroring (second drive appears to be blank) (n). I tried one data recovery software tool and the drive is not being seen as a logical drive but does show as a physical drive, so I cannot get the software to get the data off. I would love to hear any other suggestions about how I can get this drive to be recognized so I can save a bunch of music and movies :eek:

Here are some specifics to the PC I am dealing with:

Motherboard - MB DFI RS482 INFINITY XPRESS200 939 - Retail
    http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr...RODUCT_ID=4497&CATEGORY_TYPE=INFINITY&SITE=NA
    OS - Windows XP
    Hard Drive - WD 500GB (don't have model number handy, but it is SATA and about 2 yrs old)

Thanks (y)

2. bigbear

bigbear

If you did not set-up the raid array correctly then there is not going to be any data to recover :confused:
    Is the drive pata? the jumper should be set to master in an enclosure if it is.

3. bcrossan

bcrossan Thread Starter

When I say the RAID was not set correctly I meant the drives were not being mirrored. Everything was being written to one drive and the second drive is completely empty. The drives are definately SATA. Hope this helps clarify my original question.

4. bigbear

bigbear

Ok, missed the sata bit :D
    There are lots of recovery data software but they are not cheap.
    Quite often they will let you download the software run it and it will tell you if the data is recoverable, but you won't be able to unless you pay for it:eek:.
    This one comes recommended on this forum, I have not tried it myself though
    http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/download/
    PcInspecter is free but it has its limitations, you could try this first
    http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/download.htm?language=1

5. bcrossan

bcrossan Thread Starter

I just remembered the name of the recovery software I tried that could not recognize the drive as a logical drive. It is File Recovery Professional from LC Technology. I hope one of the other 2 do a better job. Thanks for the links

I am still puzzled why this drive will not appear in My Computer when it gets recognized as a new drive in the task bar

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice