1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help me reformat from WinXP back to DOS6

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by steppec, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steppec

steppec Thread Starter

I very much want to reformat back to DOS 6.22 a PIII 10gig HD running WinXP-home.

I have a floppy USB w/ the DOS files from bootdisk website.
    But F8 startup w/ safemode + DOS prompt and then running
    autoexec or fdisk from USB a-drive fails with incompatible DOS
    version. Please, how do I kill WinXP and reformat so I am running
    DOS6.22?? The more specif your help, the better. MANY thanks.

2. squidboy

squidboy

Ok, I'm not going to ask exactly why you want to do this ;)

Basically, you need to boot from your floppy, *not* from WinXP or F8 or Safemode or CmdPrompt, etc.

Second, you need the install floppys for DOS 6.22...should be 3 floppys as I recall.

If you have both, you can proceed. Make certain you have both fdisk and format files on your boot floppy.

3. steppec

steppec Thread Starter

Good question! Want to retro-fit 1 of my notebks
    to DOS6 because I have tons of neat DOS stuff
    from the *deep past*. The hinges on my old
    dedicated DOS machine have cracked, so want to
    port contents to a newer laptop.

...but don't I have to enter setup and somehow
    get WinXP to 'see' my USB floppy drive as the
    startup to make it the bootable drive??? Thank you
    for your help.

4. squidboy

squidboy

Mostly correct. You would enable that feature in your BIOS, not WinXP. Now, here's the tricky part...some BIOS' support booting from a USB device, others don't. So you would need to inspect you BIOS and put that floppy at the top of the boot order. I know more recent PC's/motherboards support it but not all of them :(. That's the best I can tell you there...good luck.

5. Perfesser

Perfesser

Even if the motherboard/BIOS can support a USB floppy, DOS doesn't. There is very little DOS support for USB and it is generally manufacturer specific for the peripheral device.

6. steppec

steppec Thread Starter

Yes, I have discovered that DOS does not support
    USB floppies......but thanks. Apparently I will need
    to format a CD, dump my 3 DOS6 floopies to the
    CD and make the CD DOS-bootable. Life is not
    easy!

7. langtallerny

langtallerny

to go back to dos 6.0 coming from xp is established by the folowing:
    firstly: since dos must reside on c: you better make a backup of your harddrive by making an image of c:
    secondly: startup xp installation cd rom from cd rom drive and inside setup delete the old partition. stop further installation
    thirdly: startup dos6 in a:-drive and use fdisk to redefine the partition in c: and format it.
    forthly: install dos 6 on c:
    fifthly: install xp on another drive spec, install the image maker first and restore your xp image on that drive.
    you have now dos running and xp on the same computer with a multiboot option.

8. m-dash

m-dash

There are programs on the market that will make this task a little easier, if you want to set up your system with a dual-boot capability. The one I use (double-booting between PC DOS 2000 and Windows ME) is System Commander.

It automates much of the process of creating the partitions the size you want, and so forth, and dual booting is very convenient once set up (kind of like having two computers in one), but there is still the considerable possibility of things going wrong any time you modify the master boot files on your machine, so you will want to back up your important data in any case.

M-dash

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

10. wigginton

wigginton

You can -this is what I've been doing. The problem is when you're running something a little more processor intensive it slow down because most of your PC processing power is being used to run the emulation software. Does anyone know if MS-DOS 6.xx will install from a CD if you transfer the floppy files to it?

Ryan.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!