1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help me select a processor!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DrP, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrP

DrP Thread Starter

Could anyone tell me which processor they'd recommend out of these?

AMD Sempron Processor 3200+ (will save me £10)
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ (in the price)
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+ (extra £6)
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ (extra £12)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (extra £41)

I'm looking at a system from Dell which has those options. The only games I use are Civilization IV and Football Manager so I don't need anything high performance there. I have an old 128Mb graphics card I will be putting in it anyway.
    I do play with Photoshop and Flash quite a lot so I expect either of the above will be fine, but is it worth paying the extra and getting the Athlon 64? Am I right in thinking that most programs won't make use of the 64bit technology, and therefore I won't get any benefit? The same applies to the Dual Core Processor. Is this a case of something which I'm unlikely to need if I'm not gaming heavily?

Please, please tell me what you think because I can't find a decent article on this issue anywhere (but then I am being quite specific).

2. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Getting the 64bit is well worth the money and is definately the future for CPU's, as you probably already know. The extra pennies is more than worth it! They can run both 32bit and 64bit simutaniousley, so even if the program doesn't support 64bit, it will take full advantage of the 32bit technology. Soon, all programs will be coded to run in-line with 64bit processors.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice