1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help me setup my speakers+headset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stef1808, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stef1808

stef1808 Thread Starter

Hi,

Im using a Creative SB X-Fi sound card which up until now when i want to use my headset - I have to keep plugging in the green 3.5mm and unplug the current speaker setup I have.

My MB's audio panel doesnt work either (never did since i build it, do you need to plug something in?)

Is there a way to configure my sound card to accept both audio outputs and choose from winsows (10) which 1 i want - can this even be done? do i need a new sound card or perhaps a audio slitter ??

Many thnanks

2. Dougx789

Dougx789

Hi,

Can you give the exact model of the Creative SB sound card? A link would be even better!

How do you currently plug your speak setup in? which jack's are you using and which do you have to unplug?

If you're using an internal PCI sound card, along with the audio driver you should have some software to set up your configuration. This might give you the choice to select inputs.

As for your MB audio - What MB do you have?

You said "since I built it", so I'm presuming this is a custom build PC. When you installed windows did you install all the drivers from the manufactures website starting with the chipset driver?

3. stef1808

stef1808 Thread Starter

Hi Dougx, thanks for your reply.

Sound card: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI
    http://support.creative.com/Product...laster&prodID=15853&prodName=X-Fi XtremeGamer

I have the speakers plugged into in the 3.5mm green jack on the sound card. when i want to use my headphones, i unplug the speakers, connect the headset using the green and white jacks for sound/mic.

Yes, its a custom build PC running on a Asus P8Z77 V
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V/

Im pretty sure I got all the chipsets. Wouldn't audio quality be better anyway run through the card? If so, im not that bothered about the MB sound.

Thanks

4. Dougx789

Dougx789

Hey,

If you want to use your sound card for both your speaker system and your headset (without having to switch jacks all the time) you will need to buy a 3.5mm splitter.

Such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=3.5mm_audio_splitter-_-12-200-956-_-Product

This would send the sound to both devices all the time. (Just don't go cheap on the splitter though with a non-brand generic one as this will likely lead to problems, mainly a large drop in audio quality)

If you want to be able to select within Windows between speakers and headset you will need to either

- Buy a different sound card with multiple jack points (eg a line out and a headphones out) then switch between using the devices software

or

- Fix your MB on board audio and plug your speakers into your sound card and your headset into your MB audio. You could then use Windows to switch between audio devices.

Onboard audio is pretty good on modern motherboards and for most peoples uses they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
    It entirely depends on what you're using it for and which sound card you have (some very cheap sound cards can be worse then onboard audio).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1166527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice