1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

please help me understand network share

Discussion in 'Networking' started by missV, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. missV

missV Thread Starter

Please help me to understand how to share a printer between XP and vista. I would like to be able to be on internet at same time and also need to have the printer that is hooked to XP to print from my vista. I have bought a printshop, which is a dvd not cd and need to install on daughters vista and print from my XP. Thanks for any help and i'm not very computer savvy

MissV:confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Enable file and printer sharing on the XP, configure any 3rd party firewall (internet security) to allow the desired LAN access, and share the printer.

On the Vista make sure your network is set to 'Private,' and connect the printer to the Vista and install (this is just a temporary step to get the Vista driver installed--I assume you have a Vista driver for it). Configure any 3rd party firewall to allow the desired access. Then reconnect the printer to the XP and see if you can "add a network printer" on the Vista. If this last step fails, as it often does on Vista, there is a workaround that I do not remember the exact steps but can find it in threads here.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. missV

missV Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your replies, but JohnWill remember next time to be gentle. I am fairly new at fixing my computer problems.
    MissV;)

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Wasn't I gentle? ;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice