1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help me upgrade my Creative video card driver...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pikachelsea, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pikachelsea

Pikachelsea Thread Starter

Hello,

Ever since I had to re-install Windows XP, my video card hasn't been performing as well as it used to. Any graphics-heavy games or even screensavers just run terribly. I have an nVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 PRO, and I've read online that the Creative Labs RIVA TNT2 driver ver. 44.04 for XP should be the latest and best driver available for it (my current driver is the 44.03 driver from nVIDIA's driver page). Note that the 44.03 driver is an .exe file, whereas the 44.04 driver from Creative comes in .zip form, forcing a manual installation...

Anyway, I went to run the Hardware Update Wizard so I could point it to my newly extracted 44.04 driver files and update the driver. My steps were as follows:

1. Display Properties
    2. Settings
    3. Advanced
    4. Adapter
    5. Properties
    6. Driver
    7. Update Driver
    8. "Install from a list or specific location" (next)
    9. "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." (next)
    10. Have Disk...
    11. Browse... (then I point to the folder where I have extracted the driver files, and click OK)
    12. Next
    13. A window comes up telling me the driver is not Windows Logo verified. I've read that this is supposed to happen. I click "Continue Anyway".

At this point, things seem to be going well, until I get this message:

"Copy Error

Setup cannot copy the file nv4_mini.sy_.

Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert 'Creative NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP Driver Library Installation Disk 1' in the drive you specify."

(Note: I do not have any such disk)

I try clicking "Retry", to no avail. I look in the folder, and sure enough, the problematic file is sitting right there. Why the wizard refuses to copy it is beyond me. If I choose "Cancel", I can choose to continue installation without copying that file, but then the same thing happens again with numerous successive files (also sitting right there in the folder...).

I am at a complete loss here. If anyone else has installed the Creative Labs RIVA TNT2 driver ver. 44.04 for XP, or has a clue what is going on here, I would greatly appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. Pikachelsea

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy Pikachelsea...

Can you manually point it to the nv4_mini.sy_ file ?

5. Corvus

Corvus

I thought those drivers where executables meaning self installing

but they are not I checked

6. apaz

apaz

hi...
    I just installed the latest detonator driver 44.67.
    download it from Guru3d.com,you can get it from Nvidia as well.
    It is zipped and will extract to C:/Nvidia by default,where you can access the setup.exe file and Voila!
    You could be wise to run a prog such as Nvidia nasty file remover
    between uninstalling your old driver and installing the new one.
    Hope this is of some help.

7. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

8. zeddy

zeddy

Start>run>regedit (editing registry is at your risk as always)

Using RegEdit perform a search for nv4.sys. If the search finds an entry with a key for 'ImagePath' then make sure it points to nv4_mini.sys and not nv4.sys

9. Pikachelsea

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I really appreciate it. I went to the site you mentioned, and I noticed that they had a driver version 45.23 available, which I'm downloading right now. That would be more recent than 44.67, right? Or is that not the one I want for some reason...?

But thanks for pointing me to this site; it's been tons of help. I have yet to try out their drivers to see if they help my video card's performance, though, so I'll keep you guys posted... :)

10. Pikachelsea

Darn. I successfully installed the 45.23 driver, but it didn't fix the problem with my game performance. :( It used to be so much better... now it's all blocky and lagging. I'm starting to wonder if this is really a problem with the driver, or something else entirely (even though I didn't change my video card or anything). I noticed that my graphics-heavy screensaver is running smoothly like it did before, but that's the only improvement I've seen.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? As I mentioned earlier, my video card is an nVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 PRO, and my current driver is the 45.23 Detonator driver from Guru3D.com. Thanks...

11. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

12. Pikachelsea

Thanks for pointing me to that page... unfortunately, I don't even know what kind of motherboard I have though (I bought this computer from someone else and don't have any documentation for it). Maybe I can ask the guy I bought it from what kind it is. I didn't know you had to update AGP drivers for your motherboard... I guess that's something else I can try.

To answer your question, when I re-installed XP, I simply installed a fresh new copy. I didn't format my drive or anything, but I've had to re-install pretty much all of my programs since then. At first, the sound wasn't working either, but then I re-installed the sound drivers and the sound worked. The only remaining side effect of the XP re-installation that I have yet to fix is the lousy performance of my video card.

Anyway, I'll give that motherboard driver thing a shot and see what happens. Thanks again for your help!

13. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

You will have to install the latest chipset driversfirst, make sure you have DirectX 9.0b and COMPLETELY remove all traces of the present video card and try re-installing the card from scratch. Go to this link and download the Enterprise Edition. It will tell you most everthing you need to know about your system:

http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

14. Pikachelsea

Thanks for letting me know about the Enterprise tool. According to it, my motherboard chipset is a VIA VT82C693A Apollo Pro133. I tried checking VIA's driver site for drivers for this chipset, but I couldn't find any, so I tried Guru3d.com again and just decided to download the most recent VIA driver: the VIA Hyperion 4-in-1 v. 4.48 driver. I know that's pretty specific, but I was wondering if this is the right thing for me to download, and how to install/uninstall if things go wrong... thanks again for your help.

15. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

Everything you need to know. Also make sure any Anti-Virus and Firewall apps are disabled when doing ANY driver/software installations!

16. Pikachelsea

Thanks again for your help... I really appreciate it a ton. I installed the new 4-in-1 driver, but unfortunately, it didn't fix my performance problem. :(

The only other thing I can think of to try is what the tech support people at Creative suggested: completely uninstalling my current video card driver, rebooting, and then letting Windows install "native drivers" or something for it. I guess I don't have many options left, since my video card *and* motherboard chipset drivers are both as recent as possible, and still no go.

Anyway, thanks again for finding these things for me...

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/152840