Please help me with a stalling problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mike McBain

I use Windows95, Netscape 4.7, and Eudora pro.
Few the last few weeks when I am connected to my ISP my connection spasmodically and erratically goes into a stall and stops downloading and occasionally sending until I click on the little two screen winking icon next to the clock or until I swing from Netscape into Eudora and click Get Mail or sometimes it frees up if I click Home or Reload.

It happens on most sites but not all, sometimes getting my e-mail but not always and sometimes I have to restart or End Task.

Have reloaded Netscape and Eudora, cleared out all the tmp files, cache etc and don't want to reload Windows. I have 1.5GB of free space on C:\

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Mike.

Sounds like you have to many items in Start Up & or have to many things booted/running at the same time causing it to freeze.
How much RAM do you have?
Perhaps someone else can tell you how to correctly fix this... :eek:

Also Mike , I think this should be in the forum for Windows. not just in web & e-mail

Mike McBain

G'day SavvyLady

Thanks for your input to my problem.

My system has 64Mb of RAM.

I have deleted some programs from the Startup Menu and have nothing open except Netscape or Eudora Pro but the problem still occurs intermittently.

BTW I have happy memories of Virginia and North Carolina and am in contact with lovely people in Yanceyville near the border.

It does only seem to be an internet connected problem so haven't bothered the Windows Forum yet.

Cheers from Tasmania

G'day,
Im from a town 25 miles west of Danville Va... just over the Va state like from Yanceville... I have never been there though.

As for the tech problem you are having ....
this really is the wrong area for this particular discussion... wished you would repost the otriginal question in Windows area rather than this which is Web & E-mail... which has nothing to do w/ your problem.
But in the meantime... if you hold down Ctrl Alt & click Delete the window that pops up shows everything that running n the background . The items running beside the clock will be there plus others you may not know what they are. So be careful what you take from there out. At any rate ... if you End Task there it will come back on reboot.... so its a safe place to check & see whats taking the RAM too..... 64MB's of Ram is not very much memory.
My next suggestion would be call the tech support of your ISP.
clean cache lately? How about a virus scan... theres a great one is at www.antivirus.com

Mike McBain

Thanks again SavvyLady

Have followed your suggested checks and it may be behaving a little better with less stalls occurring.

Will give it a day or so and come back to you with the result.

My ISP people are pretty useless with a high staff turnover.

Cheers from Tassie

Mike McBain

G'day Savvy Lady & all

Well I have been totally offline for a week.
My Vet was not up to date and somehow a virus from a muslim work contact in Malaysia got past the current version of PC-cillin you recommended and wiped my system.

Lost heaps of non-backed up stuff.

So went out and bought a brand new system 1.6mhz etc etc and am in the process of transferring as much of the 5gb of info that I can recover from my old system as possible.

Then I will reformat the HD and try it again.

The stalling problem is still there after all of this!

Bye for now.

Mike.

OH NO!!

A virus it was huh... dang I hate it was not found in time. Im sorry that happened .
I do hope you get in touch w/ the people at PC cillin & let them know... (www.antivirus.com)
also....wondering if you selected to scan your entire system in
PC Cillin?

Did you run Ad-Aware... ( gets all the spyware off your PC )
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

You're still having problems as you was before ???. I wonder if its safe to add the stuff from the old harddrive???

Another thing is to update Nortons or whatever virus scan you have... install Nortons on the new puter before you install lots of stuff.... it works best if it was onboard before all your other files are added.

:) Savvy

On a new computer & still having the same problems?? I wonder if you have static on your telephone line. You might need to call the telephone company & see if they can fix that .

Hi all,

"On a new computer & still having the same problems?? I wonder if you have static on your telephone line. You might need to call the telephone company & see if they can fix that ."

My two cents here......

Many people will call their ISPs to complain about everything from slow connects to dropped connects etc.....

Here is a little inside.........

Call yor dial tone provider and complain about static on the PHONE line and mention NOTHING of your puter, this will in fact dispatch a service person out to physically check the drop, and better yet if you have a wire maintenance contract with your isp ( most people do and they just dont know it, look at your phone bill) they will check for clean connects all the way up to the wall outlet.

Sorry 'bout the virus thingy 20/20 rear vision now.....live and learn.

DS

Mike McBain

G'day Savvy Lady Dark Star & Co

Thanks again for your interest.

I am running Vet and will update it on every upgrade notification from now on! Shutting the gate after the horse has bolted maybe.

Yes PC cillin was run over the whole HD and my complaint is that it did not pick up the virus coming in. Sorry but seem to have misplaced the exact strain of Magistrate that came through and the Trojan was trojan bad??.a

Have had Telstra in after complaining about speed and they installed a new line which was worse! Kept at the techie and he finally found a section of stripped copper cable where they had dragged it up through the concrete block foundation wall!

Have finally relented and installed Explorer on both machines and removed my beloved Netscape and would you believe it but both the speed and the stalling on the old machine (as yet not reformatted) have both improved out of site. Just the very occasional stall for a few seconds which may even be Internet slowdowns.

Well thats it from me for now and once again many many thanks.

well thats great news... but mike you can run Netscape & Internet Explorer.
I do.. often at the same time too.
Multi-tasking sometime I find the need to use netscape.

At any rate you're better now... rather the problem is... hope it continues to improve.

:) Savvy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online