1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help me with internet-connection (LAN/Ethernet) problem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HalleluYAH, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HalleluYAH

HalleluYAH Thread Starter

Please tell me how to fix my internet-connection problem. Recently, I got a used-laptop (Dell Inspiron 9100), which was pre-installed with Windows XP. When I plugged my ethernet cord to the back of the computer for the 1st time, it would immediately connect to the internet. Of course, it was already set-up to detect the ethernet (LAN line) cord, which I connected to the back of the computer.

The computer from Ebay, and when I noticed the Ebay-seller left hidden accounts/files on that computer, I hastily re-installed Windows XP Pro (SP3) on the laptop to completely wipe all the hidden folders/files off the hard disk because I didn't know how to delete otherwise.

Ever since I re-installed Windows XP (SP3) on that computer, it won't connect to the internet via Mozilla or whatever else I use as a browser. It won't let me access the internet, even with the ethernet cord connected to it.

My internet-connection was lost as soon as I re-installed Windows XP. Please tell me how to make my Laptop computer instantly detect the ethernet card or drivers like it did before I wiped it's memory & re-installed XP on it.

Why can't it detect my LAN/Ethernet cord, anymore? Would any of you please tell me how to make it instantly connect to the internet without me having to type in my IP address or static-address & ect. in the "Network Connections" section of my WinXP Control Panel?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I'd guess you need to go to Dell and download ALL the drivers for this machine, chipset, sound, network, etc.

Let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

Let's see this as well with the cable connected.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. Sid9678

Sid9678

sounds like your network card driver might not be installed.
    Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
    Now click on Hardware and click on Device Manager
    Click on the + sign next to Network Adapters
    if you installed your network card driver it should be there and it should be green. If there's any problems or issues it will have a yellow exclamation point or a red x.

Verify this and post back please.

4. JohnWill

See previous post. ;)

5. HalleluYAH

John, thanks for giving me those instructions (steps) to follow. II followed all of them, except for the step that came after "type IPCONFIG /ALL". My computer would not allow me to "Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter. Copy the results from the Command-window...".

The Comand-window appeared and disappeared within 2 seconds, each & every time after I typed IPCONFIG /ALL and pressed "Enter".

ALSO: I went to the Dell site, as you suggested: http://support.dell.com/support/dow...NS_PNT_P4_9100&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

And I found all of the drivers that came pre-installed in my Dell Inspiron Laptop, but they were unable to be downloaded directly from that website. Would any of you please tell me where I could find a free Dell Inspiron 9100 disc-image with all the drivers (or a driverpack), so I would be able to get connected to the internet with all the drivers that were wiped off the hard drive of my Dell Inspiron Laptop 9100? (please review list of "Other devices" below, so you know what was wiped off my Laptop's Hard Disk):

In the Device Manager window, these are the "Other devices", which have a yellow question-mark & exclamation-mark next to them:

• Ethernet controller
    • Multimedia Audio Controller
    • Network Controller
    • PCI Modem
    • Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

If you can't download them from the Dell site or don't have time to find a recovery disc-image for me, please tell me how to make a recovery disc after downloading the drivers pack (if Dell ever allows me to download them) from: http://support.dell.com/support/dow...NS_PNT_P4_9100&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

6. JohnWill

You need to follow the instructions EXACTLY.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

As far as the Dell drivers, select the drivers required from the list and click the download link.

7. HalleluYAH

Thanks for helping me, again. Like I mentioned before, the command-window isn't staying on my screen for more than 2 seconds. It's not allowing me to copy anything. When it appears on my screen it appears to be blank (no results are listed in that window, as far as I can see).

UPDATE: I re-installed Windows XP Pro onto my hard-drive, so now it detects my ethernet controller. I haven't got my video controller to work, yet.

I'll try to reinstall those drivers, now. Thanks again for your help.

8. JohnWill

That's another solution. :D

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice