please help me

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dustinetter

i am working on a computer for a friend. it is a hewlett packard and has windows xp home edition on it. i am pretty good with computers but this has me stumped. when you go to start it up it comes up with a techinical error that says it could not start windows because it is missing a file. the file that it says its missing is a unremovable boot volume. it has a few options. it says you can start in safe mode, which doesnt actually work(it wont go to the safe mode of windows because of the error.) it says u can start up regularly, which doesnt work either because of the error. if i could get to the dos screen i could fix it, does anyone have an idea on how to fix it or at least to get to dos screen? any help would be greatly apreciated, this is making me pretty frustrated lol thanks

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
Welcome to TSG! :D

You may want to remove your email addy from your post! :eek:

Try setting your BIOS to boot to CD and see if you can repair your install from the XP intall disk.

Welcome aboard TSG dustinetter. You should like it here. Great bunch of folks... very savvy and kind and helpful.
Shamou

dustinetter

ok, thanks. i will try to set my BIOS to boot from the cd. i hope that works. anyone else got any ideas? thanks

dustinetter

i am still having problems. maybe i am not as smart as i thought i was lol. i cant reset the BIOS from the setup menu. i dont know what else to do lol

Try this:
restart the computer.
While the display is blank, press the F10 key to enter the BIOS settings menu.(this is if older than 2002)
Use the right and left arrow keys to select the Advanced tab.
Use the up and down arrow keys to select Boot Order.
Follow the on-screen instructions to change the boot order.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online