1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

please help me...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vixen_dacier, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vixen_dacier

vixen_dacier Thread Starter

i think i have a DELL inspiron 6000 and i cannot find the wireless switch!! my wireless card (3D Reach PCMCIA wireless card and a westell versalink. my PC can recognize the modem/router and says its enabled but i cannot connect. and its saying that i have another wireless device on my PC, but i dont think i have. please help, i know i sound ridiculous but i do need help. :confused:

2. onsite

onsite

this is a notebook ?
    you have broadband in your house ?
    the westell versalink is your modem / router ? do you have dsl ?
    what is your OS ?
    What is the model number of the westell ( on the front and bottom , both )

3. vixen_dacier

yes, this is a notebook.. i have DSL, and im using XP pro. the westell im using is a 327W. (thats what i read at the bottom part).. by the way, i have 2 of these notebooks and one desktop, all run wireless connections (supposedly).. by the time i had one laptop work, i cannot get the other to connect.. the desktop can be connected directly to the router but i can have it run with a USB wireless adapter..

4. onsite

onsite

It supports only 802.11g, so you want to make sure that all your notebook cards etc are
    " G" not B or A, but " G "
    Here is the manual, make sure all your settings are correct in the router

http://www.westell.com/content/sales/327W.pdf

you have to make sure you are using infrastructure, not adhoc
    your ssid is the same
    channel the same
    let me know, got to go and fix some more PCs, here comes my boss again

ps if the default user password ...etc does not work you may have to reset, do not do that yest

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have an integrated wireless adapter on your Dell laptop (you can check in Device Manager) the toggle switch is probably the Fn + F2 key combination. The F2 key will have a blue tower antenna icon. When the switch is 'on' a blue LED will be lit.

6. vixen_dacier

yes, its 805.11g(wireless card) i did the Fn+F2 key and played around a little. i did not notice the LED come up but it says connected now. i still cannot pull up any pages. i tried connecting the notebook directly to the westell and the connection is good. i checked the westell configuration, ssid is on broadcast, i even disabled the WEP key just to make sure. i still cannot surf.. (this makes me want to connect my 2wire back again). i dont get it, this is a new laptop. the other notebook connects without any much ados and its connected using an intel card (?).

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If I understand correctly, you do not have an integrated wireless adapter on this Dell; you are using the PCMCIA card; you have disabled WEP encryption on the router; you seem to get a connection wirelessly but can't access the internet; connecting the Dell via ethernet works fine.

Make sure that you are not using MAC address filtering on the router and then ...

If you have encryption enabled, try w/o encryption until you get a successful session.

First determine if the problem PC is really communicating with the router when it claims to be connected.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address and router's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

The "Gateway" is the router's IP address.

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On the PC open a Command window and type
    ping IProuter (where IProuter is the IP address of the router)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

IF you got replies,
    2. ping 66.94.234.13 (or any other internet address you know)

If you got replies,
    3. ping www.yahoo.com (or any other internet name)

If you did not get a Gateway IP address assigned, post a copy of the ipconfig /all here. It can be of a time when you are connected both wirelessly and by ethernet.

8. vixen_dacier

i have replies no packets lost if i ping the router and yahoo (ip address and URL) using the ethernet cable// all packets lost if i do that wirelessly// is it the card?? or the modem?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you made sure on the router that encryption is disabled, and that you are NOT using MAC address filtering?

Post a copy of the ipconfig /all when you are connected both wirelessly and by ethernet. One of the ways to do so is to type
    ipconfig /all >C:\config.txt

Then use Notepad to go to the C: drive and open the newly created config text file and copy the contents here.

Are you using Windows' WZC utility or the wireless adapter's utility to manage the connection? And do you know that the other one is NOT running?

Sorry for the seemingly endless questions but do not yet have enough information to point to a cause of the problem. It's probably something relatively minor, so stick with it.

10. vixen_dacier

hey!! you said its something minor right?? i tried the wireless adapter from the other laptop and i got online.. thats the time i realized that the card im using is 805.11b. i was told that the westell versalink supports both B&G!! what i dont understand is, it says connected but i cant get online.. thats the thing that really confused me.. now i feel really stupid.. but thanks you all so much for your assistance, i think i can understand all these connections better now.. more power!!!

11. onsite

onsite

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you to check. You should log onto your router , most "g" routers have mixed mode, both g and b.

12. vixen_dacier

sorry.. 802.11b (hahahah) but that was really helpful..i forgot that the more you know, the more stupid you become.. thanks!!!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice