1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PLEASE HELP,milk poured on laptop and now won't start up!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aylaann, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aylaann

aylaann Thread Starter

I have a HP ProBook 4430s laptop that my school sent me so it is very important for me to have it(since it is the only one I have and my 2 daughters decided that they wanted to pour a whole glass of milk all over it:(. It was in hibernate and I wiped all the milk off that I could and left it alone to dry out. A mistake I made was that I didn't turn it off all though I did unplug it from the charger. Anyways about an hour later when I left the room the laptop was in, I guess my daughter wanted to check the laptop out and turned it off. I let it sit for about 3 days and then I started to clean some of the milk off but I didn't take it all the way apart. It still does not want to turn on, I push the power button and it does nothing. I have started to take it apart all the way and cleaning all the milk off so my question is am I wasting my time because the milk is just about everywhere and it is taking me a long time. If there is a good chance that cleaning the milk off will fix it then I will continue on cleaning the milk off and if it is possible what is the best thing I could use to clean it with. I have a manual giving me step-by-step instructions on how to take it apart but nothing on how to clean it and what not to touch. So if anyone can help me that would be awesome because if I can't fix this laptop then I can't finish my college classes that I'm taking online and it is very important to me and my family. Thanks a lot

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Especially if it was turned on during/after the spill, it may well be a lost cause. What you are doing is just about all that can be done.

You probably don't really want to contact them, but it would be a very good idea. You can't be the first or only person who had a mishap and they may have insurance to cover such things. Probably best not to mention that you took it apart.

3. aylaann

aylaann Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response,

I figured since the laptop was on hibernate when the milk was poured on it and the charger was plugged into it if anything bad happened to anything that it would of fried something and stopped working then, my daughter turned it off and since then it won't turn back on. I'm just hopping that the milk is stopping a connection somewhere and that is why it wont work and if I clean all of it off it might start working again.

I did contact my school and they gave me two options either pay a 100 dollar deposit and have them come pick it up and fix it and I would get a replacement in 4 to 6 weeks or I could find some one to fix it at a shop and more and likely that would cost me 100 dollars or more, I have three kids ages 5 and under so I don't have an extra couple hundred dollars laying around to spend on fixing it. so my only hope is me cleaning it and wishing for the best.

Any tricks or home fix it remedy's from anyone would be great, I'm open to anyone's suggestions no matter how crazy they sound, Thanks again.

4. aylaann

aylaann Thread Starter

Oh yea, I don't know if it makes a difference but the charger that was plugged into my laptop when the milk was poured on it still works. Nothing happened to it so maybe nothing was fried in my laptop, I really don't know if anything would of happened to the charger if the laptop fried or not I'm just having wishful thinking.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

The machine is turned completely off when it is in the hibernation state, so there is nothing running at that time. You can even remove the battery and unplug it and still resume from hibernation when you put them back.

Good luck.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice