Please help my computer is stuttering on a game

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ToNiC2302

Hey, hope someone can help me out. I'm having a issue with stuttering when I play World of Warcraft. I used to have a nVidia 512MB 8500GT Graphics card. Game ran pretty well. No stuttering, I was able to play 2 accounts at 1 time if I wanted, free of lag. I decided I wanted to upgrade to a 1GB Card. I went out and bought an ATI 1GB HD Radeon 4650. I uninstalled the old driver, shut off the computer, installed new card, booted back up. Once up the drivers were being installed, etc. I then started playing WoW and it started stuttering. I then, went to ATI's website downloaded newest drivers. Tried again. Same issue, I decided maybe the cards running to hot, took the side cover off. Same problem. I then swapped it out for a nVidia 9500 GT 1GB card. Same uninstall install process. It's still stuttering! Does anyone have any idea of whats going on? It's kind of like backround lag. Please let me know please. Thank you!

(I have an HP Pavilion a1410n. Upgraded 3.5 Gigs of Ram Thanks)

Mike

HP. 8500 GT. A power supply just enough for the stock configuration. 4650 and 9500 GT won't run properly with the junky power supply. Simple as that.

ToNiC2302

Hey, thanks for answering back. I did upgrade the power supply to a 400W supply. Do I need to get a higher end one then that? It makes sense and all but, I did however change the PS. The card calls for 350-400w. So that's why I got the 400. Please let me know.

Depends. If it was a high quality unit from Corsair, Enermax, PC Power & Cooling, etc, it's good for those cards. If it was the usual 20 $ "400W" unit, then it's still the most propable cause of the problems.

ToNiC2302

I paid 50$ for this power supply, I know that's still a cheap power supply but, it's made for HPs. It's the only reason I got it. Box says PCMCIS 400w. It's by far a gaming PS I suppose but, can you recommend a decent power supply you think will work that's not much more then 100$? And what do you think that this is the cause of my stuttering. It's mainly when things load. For example. If I switch songs on my winamp, and it goes from 1 song to the next, my game will stutter. (never did before). I really hope this will solve the issue.

ToNiC2302

Ok, I've done a memory stress test before and it all checks out ok. Haven't done dskchk but, I'll do that. Hopefully buying this new PS will solve my problem Thanks for your help! I'll let you know if it works.

Mike

ToNiC2302

Well, I went ahead brought back that power supply, picked up the VX450 Corsair. Installed it, and it seems *a little* better but still stuttering and having problems multitasking. I am completely stumped on this, I dont' know what else to do, if you have any other ideas I'll be very grateful. Thanks for helping me.

Sigh. So, does it still today not do the stutter with the old 8500? I would start blaming HP, or the proprietary motherboard at that point.

ToNiC2302

Yeah it still does it with the old card now too. I'm confused. I scanned the computer for viruses and all it's finding is cookies that are being resolved it says. It only lags when it's multitasking of some point.

Okay. SO: You used the underpowered PSU trying with the two new cards. It was insufficient. You broke something. The new PSU stopped any further damage, but didn't fix what the initial mistake had done. Now it would just be time for ripping it apart, changing everything one part at a time. Very time and money consuming. Not worth it for a PC of that age. Rather use the great PSU you just bought, build a whole new rig. Interested? Post a budget if so.

ToNiC2302

I knew this would be the outcome. lol. I was trying to avoid this. I really don't have a set budget for this. What would be a decent amount for a computer that can run decent. (I have the PSU, and Graphics card). I know the new comp, to be built probably won't be DDR ram. So I'll have to get new ram. Let me know how much a decent amount would be so I have an idea on what I should do. I dont' want to spend a boat load, but I don't want to buy crap product either. If you could give me a estimate. Thank you.

ToNiC2302

Hey, before I go ahead and get a whole new thing built. What do you think will be the chances it is the processor? I actually was thinking of being a AMD Phenom Quad processor for this thing anyway. And if you think that might be the problem it might be worth it for me to just change that out. If it doesn't work, I can always use it in the new built comp, or return it for a intel i7. What ya think?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts