1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help my dying hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by agent_0range, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agent_0range

agent_0range Thread Starter

Hi, I have a serious problem with my PC and after spending far too long trying to fix it i'm getting a bit fed up.

A while ago my hard drive (120GB Maxtor Plus9) started going bad. It would work normally most of the time but now and then it would make a single mechanical clicking noise and the whole computer would freeze a few seconds after. I would need to turn it off and on again to get it back up. It tended to happen the exact time i clicked on something or if i was copying / downloading so was not totally random. It started happening more and more often and got to the stage where it would just click as soon as I turned it on, over and over again. I temporarily solved this by giving it a sharp hit and / or turning it upside down. Then it would be ok for a few days before it went bad again.

OK so not hard to fix I thought, Ill just buy a new hard drive. Now here's where it gets interesting...

I bought a new 200GB Maxtor Plus 10, and after a few attempts, managed to copy everything off the duff drive. Great I thought, with a new Windows install and a working drive, my PC was running sweetly. Then a few weeks ago it started clicking just like the one before...

What could this possibly be?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

Either really bad luck or possibly something in your home killing your harddrives. Heat is the first thing that comes to mind although voltage spikes would do it also.

3. pont

pont

like the other guy said..............(Either really bad luck or possibly something in your home killing your harddrives. Heat is the first thing that comes to mind although voltage spikes would do it also.)

Do you have any thing that is magenetic around it...say like a subwoofer or speackers with big magnetics

4. agent_0range

agent_0range Thread Starter

hmm, ive tried it in 3 houses and it happens in all of them. I do have a small magnet in the door of my case which holds it shut but thats it. i have no speakers anywhere near it but i do have it right next to a 22" CRT.

5. ChuckG

ChuckG

I've seen this before. The problem was the cable. Try reseating the cable at the motherboard and at the HD, and/or try a new cable.

6. Jack Goa

Jack Goa

Hey, I had the same problem, also with a Maxtor. It started making the sound about two weks after I bought it, Took it back to the suppliers and off course it would not make the sound while it was there. Eventually it started getting worse and worse, pc freezing up etc. Took it back to them, they ran a test on it, nothng wrong again, but i forced them to phone their suppliers, and voila, they said that it should not be making any kind of sound whatsoever. So if it's still under warranty, take it back!!!!
    The maxtor they replaced it with does not give me any hassles at all.
    Maybe u are just bad luck in getting two factory faults in a row.

7. erick295

erick295

Like the others have said, possibly bad luck, possibly your computer. I assume you have your computer connected to a *good* surge protector, if not, it's probably time to get one.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/372240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice