Please help!! No signs of life on my compaq presario cq62

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tinktink77

Yvonne
Compaq Presario cq62 won't boot. It starts the boot process but stops after the first few seconds. I hear fans start up and run and the wifi key lights up an red and the caps lock key lights up blue. No blinking just lit up and stay lit. I've tried t h e hard boot by taking away the power adapter and battery then discharging all power by holding power button for 60 seconds then plugged it in without the battery and still nothing. Please help as this laptop is my only pc and has very important personal and business files on it.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Compaq Presario cq62 won't boot
What's the complete model number of that Compaq Presario CQ62 series laptop?
(A dash and additional characters after CQ62 comprises the complete model number)
What's the exact product number(P/N) on it?
this laptop is my only pc and has very important personal and business files on it
Data that's important and/or irreplaceable should be backed up to reliable external media on a regular basis.
If the Windows operating system crashes or if there's a hardware issue or if the hard drive dies, you can lose it permanently.

What did you do to that laptop before the issue occurred?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Tinktink77

Yvonne
Sorry it's taken o long to reply. I work long hours and get the rare chance to check much more than txt msgs. Thank you for your response. The model number is : CQ62-219WM
P/N: WQ778UA#ABA

Attachments

Tinktink77

Yvonne
Nothing really. It's been slowing and declining in function all around for the last year or so but haven't been able to pin down any exact reason for it to fail. It was a hand me down from my mother about 3 yes ago. because she had lost my Toshiba Satellite and she'd jut bought a new laptop for herself.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The model number is : CQ62-219WM
P/N: WQ778UA#ABA
It's been slowing and declining in function all around for the last year or so but haven't been able to pin down any exact reason for it to fail.
It was a hand me down from my mother about 3 years ago.
Compaq Presario CQ62-219WM Notebook PC
It originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
It came with an Intel Celeron 900 2.20 GHz single-core processor which has a very low benchmark score of 687.
It came with only 2 GB of RAM, but it supports up to 8 GB, so hopefully yours is running with at least 4 GB.
If it's running with that processor and with only 2 GB of RAM, it probably has the speed and performance of a turtle.

That laptop appears to have been released in or about 2010, so it's several years old.
Is it still using its original hard drive, battery, and charger?
Is its factory restore partition still intact, and do you have a recovery media disc kit for it?

All it may need is a clean Windows reinstall and a fresh start, but it may also have a hardware issue.
It's difficult to diagnose its issues without being there to see it.

Tinktink77

Yvonne
Compaq Presario CQ62-219WM Notebook PC
It originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
It came with an Intel Celeron 900 2.20 GHz single-core processor which has a very low benchmark score of 687.
It came with only 2 GB of RAM, but it supports up to 8 GB, so hopefully yours is running with at least 4 GB.
If it's running with that processor and with only 2 GB of RAM, it probably has the speed and performance of a turtle.

That laptop appears to have been released in or about 2010, so it's several years old.
Is it still using its original hard drive, battery, and charger?
Is its factory restore partition still intact, and do you have a recovery media disc kit for it?

All it may need is a clean Windows reinstall and a fresh start, but it may also have a hardware issue.
It's difficult to diagnose its issues without being there to see it.

It's still running on the same configuration as when my mother bought it I believe. I haven't changed anything. It was giving me trouble with streaming video at times and periodically would freeze then restart randomly. Pretty much any problems that I've seen people post about this model , myin has had. It's a trooper and I hate to think it's kicked it for the last time. I've tried making a recovery disk but it would free up and stay in the same place for hours while trying. The hard drive is original as are all the parts. Should I take the hard drive and use another pc to make a recovery disk or is that even an option? I used to be a pretty good computer novice but since I started this new career path I've not had the time to keep up and use my knowledge so I'm basically computer illiterate again. Any advice is deeply appreciated.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you click the link in the second sentence in post #5, you can purchase the factory restore/system recovery disc kit($27.00 plus shipping) from there.

I recommend having the disc kit for 2 main reasons:
1. If the Windows operating system crashes and the built-in factory restore/system recovery partition no longer exists or works.
2. If the hard drive dies and needs to be replaced or you decide to replace it for some other reason.

The factory restore/system recovery disc kit has to be created in the same computer that it's going to be used in.
You can't put its hard drive in another computer and create it there.
There's no need to do that anyway if you purchase one.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Let's change the subject now.

Considering how old and slow that laptop is, you should think real hard about investing any money in it.
Replacing the hard drive and adding more RAM is going to cost a lot more than what that laptop is worth.
You should consider purchasing a refurbished one at www.newegg.com
I've purchased over a dozen refurbished Dell computers since 2008, and I've been happy with almost all of them.
You can purchase a newer and much faster one for $250 - $300.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Tinktink77

Yvonne
Thank you again for all your help. And I will definitely try getting the kit you sent the link for.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome.

There may be a hardware issue with that laptop, so I can't guarantee you that a factory restore will work.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online