1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help- norton, spyware and etc...

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by broken_b, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. broken_b

broken_b Thread Starter

OK *breathe* I guess I'll start at the beginning...

yesterday I got a *lot* of spy ware and I mean *tonnes* I downloaded hi jack this and that seemed to fix the problem

I then installed Norton and it came up with masses of HTML files infected with HTML redlof A - It deleted some but was unable to delete others

Question 1: how can I delete the remaining files?

Then this morning I logged on and the internet connection box popped up over and over again and wouldn't go away even when I pressed cancel

Question 2: is this spyware?

I ran a hi jack this log and got this- obviously some of this is norton stuff so I don't wanna delete that - can someone tell me what's safe to delete?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 12:34:35, on 11/04/04
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\NISUM.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\CCPXYSVC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\NEW FOLDER (5)\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iamapp] c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\IAMAPP.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Nisum] c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccPxySvc] c:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\CCPXYSVC.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [nisserv] c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISSERV.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Nisum] c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [nisserv] c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISSERV.EXE

thanks to anyone who replies- I'm kinda desperate here!

2. muddman

muddman

is this the complete log??
    where/what is your start page?

3. broken_b

broken_b Thread Starter

yeah that's my complete saved log- I could try again and see what I get...

also will nortion zap spyware?

4. broken_b

broken_b Thread Starter

Scan saved at 12:44:38, on 11/04/04

Running processes:

that's the second log- that's all it came up with

AE: sorry start page- you mean home page? which would be google if that's what you mean

5. $teve

$teve

Quote I downloaded hijack this and that seemed to fix the problem.
    How...and what specific problem? there is nothing untoward showing in your log.

Can you please run HijackThis again using these instructions
    Doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere, and please copy & paste its contents to the forum.

It will possibly show other issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.
    Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

If you have anything disabled by MSConfig or any other startup manager, please re-enable it before scanning to post.

;)

6. broken_b

broken_b Thread Starter

the problem was spyware... I ran hi jack and deleted the stuff on the list- this seemed to fix it- this was before I installed Norton...

the log once more:

Scan saved at 14:30:22, on 11/04/04

Running processes:

The main problem I'm having now is when I start my computer the connection box for the internet comes up, and pressing cancel won't make it go away- is this a virus? a have a broadband/DSL connection

7. $teve

$teve

HijackThis will not delete anything apart from a few .dll`s....all it does is stop the file from running so we can manually remove it.
    Open H/T again,hit the "config"..."backups" tabs...hilight the backup of the last fixes you did and restore them.....then post another log.
    ;)

8. broken_b

broken_b Thread Starter

Scan saved at 17:11:18, on 11/04/04

Running processes:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Kernel32] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Kernel.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DSLSTATEXE] C:\Program Files\BT Voyager 105 ADSL Modem\dslstat.exe icon
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice