Please help- norton, spyware and etc...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

broken_b

OK *breathe* I guess I'll start at the beginning...

yesterday I got a *lot* of spy ware and I mean *tonnes* I downloaded hi jack this and that seemed to fix the problem

I then installed Norton and it came up with masses of HTML files infected with HTML redlof A - It deleted some but was unable to delete others

Question 1: how can I delete the remaining files?

Then this morning I logged on and the internet connection box popped up over and over again and wouldn't go away even when I pressed cancel

Question 2: is this spyware?

I ran a hi jack this log and got this- obviously some of this is norton stuff so I don't wanna delete that - can someone tell me what's safe to delete?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 12:34:35, on 11/04/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\NISUM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\CCPXYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\NEW FOLDER (5)\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iamapp] c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\IAMAPP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Nisum] c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccPxySvc] c:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\CCPXYSVC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [nisserv] c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISSERV.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Nisum] c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [nisserv] c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISSERV.EXE

thanks to anyone who replies- I'm kinda desperate here!

broken_b

yeah that's my complete saved log- I could try again and see what I get...

also will nortion zap spyware?

broken_b

Scan saved at 12:44:38, on 11/04/04

Running processes:

that's the second log- that's all it came up with

AE: sorry start page- you mean home page? which would be google if that's what you mean

Quote I downloaded hijack this and that seemed to fix the problem.
How...and what specific problem? there is nothing untoward showing in your log.

Can you please run HijackThis again using these instructions
Doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log somewhere, and please copy & paste its contents to the forum.

It will possibly show other issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.
Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

If you have anything disabled by MSConfig or any other startup manager, please re-enable it before scanning to post.

;)

broken_b

the problem was spyware... I ran hi jack and deleted the stuff on the list- this seemed to fix it- this was before I installed Norton...

the log once more:

Scan saved at 14:30:22, on 11/04/04

Running processes:

The main problem I'm having now is when I start my computer the connection box for the internet comes up, and pressing cancel won't make it go away- is this a virus? a have a broadband/DSL connection

HijackThis will not delete anything apart from a few .dll`s....all it does is stop the file from running so we can manually remove it.
Open H/T again,hit the "config"..."backups" tabs...hilight the backup of the last fixes you did and restore them.....then post another log.
;)

broken_b

Scan saved at 17:11:18, on 11/04/04

Running processes:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Kernel32] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Kernel.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DSLSTATEXE] C:\Program Files\BT Voyager 105 ADSL Modem\dslstat.exe icon
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online