1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

please help; panda antivirus causes bsos windows 2000 pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ubamous3, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

hi,

please help me; i recently installed panda antivirus (first antivirus installed on that boot drive and no firewall installed yet),and after the preinstall scanning, it found 3 viruses and disinfected; after rebooting, i get the bsod (irql less than or equal ..... ntoskrnl.exe) but i can boot to the safe mode OK.

1/ i have win2k pro; 1 gig of DDR RAM, a 600W PSU, AMD athlon XP; I thought it might be RAM related so i switched the RAM sticks, alternately took out 1 stick, no luck - same error message and still can be bootable to safe mode

2/ i tried changing the panda services from auto to disabled and rebootd, no luck

2/ with 1 stick of RAM in, i changed the services back to automatic, and to my surprise, it booted back normally; it worked for over a day and then i did a full system scan; it found a few viruses n disinfected/deleted them,but when i rebooted to put back the second stick of RAM, i get the same bsod and havent been able to boot normally since (and still can boot to safe mode; safe mode with netoworking is bootable but not working quite stably)

i'd like to uninstall panda but i dont know if it's possible b/c safe mode wouldnt allow me to uninstall it and i cant boot in normal mode to uninstall it

i have read about that bsod message n people say it's mostly either device coonflict or RAM related but from my experiences, they all point to panda

please advice

thanks in advance

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

hi etaf; thanks for the link but after a cursory look at what's on that page, it ddoesnt seem to be related to my error messages; the bsod error i get is irql not less or equal and its alwys ntoskrnl.exe

i asked another site and one person said that it's windows, not panda; he said b/c of the virus, some system files are broken and suggested that i do a repair with the install CD ; luckily i have my ERD floppy still

i'll post back if that's any help

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

ok; i finally followed the other guys'afvice (easier choice) ; i put myinstall cd in and chose to repair with my erd, it didnt boot up normally either; when i came back, i saw it doing a chkdsk and fixing minor inconsistencies but still cant boot to normal mode! i cant get riid of that antivirus unless i get into normal boot mode; so i'm stuck! :( so frustrating and it's 330AM!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I recall a similar problem with panda av and win2k. I was able to remove the program from safe mode. If that is not working for you, I would try booting with the win2k cd and boot into the RC [recovery console]
    Use the "listsvc" command to see a list of services; type "disable xxxxx" where xxxxx is the name of the service or driver you want to disable.

Note you must have the admin password in order to do this.

When you are finished, install AVG AV. It is a much better program and even has a free version if you want a free AV.

7. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

thansk crjdriver,

i was able to disable the services related to panda from regular safe mode but still wouldnt let me boot normally; so does disabling it from recovery console mean a different thing than disabling it in safe mode

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, a disabled service is a disabled service. It does not matter how it is disabled. If there is a driver loading that is causing the boot problem, you can disable that from the rc as well. If you are able to boot into safe mode, I would remove any mention of panda from either the registry key that start apps or from the startup folder. Here are all of the registry keys that load programs. Note you may not have all of these keys, that is normal.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

If that does not work, you can try to run sfc.exe [system file checker] and if that does not work there is always a repair install of win2k.

9. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

i already tried to

1/ boot with lsat good configuration

and

2/ repair it with the install CD and an ERD that I made a few weeks back before i installed panda

but no luck

just fyi, this computer did use to give me blue screen intermittently before before i put a bigger psu on it; i thought it might be RAM related but i have switched the RAM sticks as well as putting in only 1 RAM stick in; i have no idea why it worked that 1 single time when i changed the panda services back to auto from disabled

i'd hate to reinstall the OS b/c it'd be a real pain to reinstall all the drivers again :(

btw, do u know how to run memtest and prime95 to test memory? i tried running them (separately of coufse) for a few hours but found no erros so i stopped ; plus, i dont know if i configured it correctly; the info that came with thse utilities assume the users r techs so dont give much details for nontechs

thanks again for trying to help me

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

memtest86 basically runs itself from a self-booting cd that you make. Prime95 is more of a cpu / stability test.

This may sound silly, however when in the RC, did you run "fixboot" and "fixmbr"? I would also run "chkdsk /f" all without quotes.

11. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

ok, now dont ask me why it works but i got it to boot normally after (just a fluke)changing the options to do a complete dump instead of just the minidump; this little trick has helped me through a similar problem ONCE BEFORE ONLY and not consistently so,but now once it's up, i'm afraid to uninstall panda since uninstalling it would require a reboot lol

regarding memtest, yes, i ran it from a self booting cd but it went for about 5 hours but i m not sure if it'd stop or it'd run forever until u stop it;

about prime95,i mispoke/misremembered my fact; i tried running prime95 durign safe mode (torture test) but it gave some kind of hardware error and asked me to restart the test but it froze so i had to rebooot

it was winmem or something like that from MS that i ran that ran forever n i didnt see any errors so i stopped it

i do think that some of my hardware on that computer (possibly RAM) is a bit not right but i'm a complete novice on all this hardware testing utilities so if u 'd be so kind to shed any advice/light on how /which tools would be best to accurately test my RAM, i'd really appreciate that a lot

thanks in advance

oh crjdriver,

about your question re: doing fixmbr,etc.. no i didnt try that b/c i could boot to safe mode succesffully; shouldnt that option be used if u cant boot in any modes at all?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice