1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help!! Primary Master Hard Disk Failed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by help_me_plz, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. help_me_plz

help_me_plz Thread Starter

Hey Guys,
    I have a pentium4 2.4ghz, 512ram, gigabyte motherboard.
    i was burning a dvd and it suddenly stopped at 70% i waited about a half hour to see if it would go but it was stuck at 70%
    so then i restarted my computer and everything went bad after that. it wouldnt boot up correctly and it found errors in my system folder. so i started to format my C://hard drive and install windows xp again but when it was formatting it got stuck at 34% for hours didnt know what to do so i turned computer off.
    now when i boot up it says Primary Master Hard Disk Failed.
    Press F1 to continue or press del for bios.

what do you guys recommend i do?? i dont wanna screw my computer up anymore then i already have, i know i lost all my C:drive but i dont wanna lose my other hard drives too.
    thanks to anyone who helps out and sorry for not being more computer smart.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Disk failures happen. It was almost certainly not anything that you did wrong, nor could you have prevented it.

I'd suggest unplugging it, opening the case and checking all your connections, especially those to the drive and where the cable plugs into the motherboard.

Try booting again. Click Del as it suggests and enter BIOS setup, see if the drive is recognized there.

You can download this program and run some tests on the drive from a floppy. DO NOT USE any tests marked as "destructive" since those will write to the hard drive and we don't want to lose your data if it is salvageable.

Run this program to create a diagnostic floppy and then boot from it. Run the advanced tests on your hard drive and let us know the results:

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/pccheck5.50.zip

3. help_me_plz

i pressed del. and found that it recognizes the maxtor hard drive.
    i dont have a floppy drive though:( so i guess i can't do that test.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What kind of drive is it (Maxtor, Seagate, Fujitsu, etc.)?

5. help_me_plz

the C:drive is a Maxtor 40gb

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I haven't had much luck finding a hard drive test that is not for floppies. The Ultimate Boot CD has some tests, but it is a pretty large download:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Does the drive make any new noises or no noise at all (do you think it's spinning)?

Did you check all the connections?

It would be best, if possible, since we can't find a test, to try the drive in another computer.

7. help_me_plz

sounds like its spinning, all connections seem to be connected.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. I created an ISO image of that floppy for you. It is bootable and you can perform all the tests from the CD rather than the floppy. Do you know how to burn images? If so, it is an iso.

Set your BIOS to boot from CD if it isn't already and boot from the CD you create with this file:

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/PCChk550ISO.zip

Do the advanced hard drive tests as mentioned above and see if the drive is savable.

9. help_me_plz

so just unzip this file and burn the .iso with nero?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes. That's it. Then boot from the CD to get the diagnostic program to run the tests.

Hopefully, it will pass the Read and Read Verify tests. That will mean that you can at least recover files from it. If it passes these tests but fails the write or mechanical stress tests, take the drive out and don't use it or do anything to it. When you get a new drive, you can put it in as a secondary and try to recover any files you want from it before it fails entirely.

11. help_me_plz

ok ill try that... thanks for helpin out :)

12. help_me_plz

ok i burned the .iso with nero and turned my other pc on, put the cd in. it did the Primary Master Hard Disck Failed then after that i pushed F1 to continue and it went o the next screen and at the bottom it said Verifying DMI Pool Data: Boot from Cd:
    but it just stays at that screen.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Don't know what to tell you. The only time I had that happen was when a burned, bootable Cd was no good. I tried burning again and it worked. This will work on a RW CD, by the way, so you don't need to waste CD's. Check to see if booting from CD is enabled in the BIOS.

You may also need to finalize the CD. Use the full Nero to be sure that the CD is finalized (no more burning allowed) under the Burn tab.

14. help_me_plz

how do i check if booting is enabled in bios?

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

When booting, there is often a message that says something like "Press F1 to enter setup" or something to that effect. Try F1, F2, Del as the most common keys to enter BIOS. Then look for boot order. Be sure CD is at the top and IDE or hard drive (HDD) next.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/247639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice