Please Help Recover Family Photos

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Len43

Hi there!
I have lost my family-photos (long story) and I want to recover them from an old IDE hardrive (with XP on it). (Exelstor G20S8YY -80Gb)
I am using a Packard Bell PC (Win 7 ) as the Master, and I've set the Jumpers on the old IDE HDD to "Slave"
The boot drive on the Master PC is SATA
And I have connected the old IDE HDD to the IDE lead mid-connector. with Molex power.
The slave HDD spins up (smoothly)
The slave is visible in BIOS and has been correctly identified & auto-detected.
But
I just can't see this slave drive in "My Computer"
What am I missing Please?
I am a learner not an expert.

Look for the drive in Disk Management (in Win7: click on Start, right click on Computer, select Manage, click on Disk Management in left pane).

Show us a screenshot of Disk Management (fully expanded). If the BIOS sees the drive, it should show up there. If it does not get a drive letter assigned, it won't show in File Explorer / My Computer.

In regards to master/slave, that setting is for IDE drives on the same port. Sounds like there is only one IDE drive here. If so, it should be set to master. But that is probably not the problem. More likely the partition on the drive is not recognized by Windows, and will show up as RAW or unallocated in Disk Management.

Last edited:

Len43

Wow DRPC! Thanks for such a rapid and useful reply.
Yes the Disk appears there, but it is not "initialised"..... whatever that means.
I attach the screenshot as suggested.
I did hit the initialize button but it failed "due to an I/O error???
At least it's there....... can you help me to actually see it please?

Attachments

You should NOT initialize or format the disk, as that can/will erase whatever data is on it.

So the drive was in a Windows XP system? Then the partition should be NTFS, or possibly FAT32.

You will need to use data recovery tools to restore it.

Normally, I would recommend you start by taking an image of the disk, so you have a backup if recovery goes wrong. But Windows disk imaging software may balk at an uninitialized disk. Something like ddrescue in linux should work, but I can't really talk you thru that on a forum. Try Macrium Reflect or Easeus Todo Backup. Both are free. You will want to do a sector by sector image in them and store that in a safe place (or better run the recovery on the image file, leaving the drive alone).

For recovery, I recommend TestDisk. It can find and restore lost partitions. It's not so easy to use (and easy to screw up), but there are guides available such as this:

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Read thru that carefully. The download is available here:
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Get version 7.1. It should work in Windows 7.

If Testdisk does not work then PhotoRec (the sister software that comes with Testdisk) might be able to scan the drive and identify/recover images and other file types that were on it.

The I/O error could be the master/slave issue. But it also indicates to me that you may well not be able to do this, and should send the drive to a data recovery professional (ie https://www.300dollardatarecovery.org/ ), It can be quite expensive, so only recommended if these photos are truly priceless.

Len43

Yes
You should NOT initialize or format the disk, as that can/will erase whatever data is on it.

So the drive was in a Windows XP system? Then the partition should be NTFS, or possibly FAT32.

You will need to use data recovery tools to restore it.

Normally, I would recommend you start by taking an image of the disk, so you have a backup if recovery goes wrong. But Windows disk imaging software may balk at an uninitialized disk. Something like ddrescue in linux should work, but I can't really talk you thru that on a forum. Try Macrium Reflect or Easeus Data Recovery. Both are free. You will want to do a sector by sector image in them and store that in a safe place (or better run the recovery on the image file, leaving the drive alone).

For recovery, I recommend TestDisk. It can find and restore lost partitions. It's not so easy to use (and easy to screw up), but there are guides available such as this:

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Read thru that carefully. The download is available here:
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Get version 7.1. It should work in Windows 7.

If Testdisk does not work then PhotoRec (the sister software that comes with Testdisk) might be able to scan the drive and identify/recover images and other file types that were on it.

The I/O error could be the master/slave issue. But it also indicates to me that you may well not be able to do this, and should send the drive to a data recovery professional (ie https://www.300dollardatarecovery.org/ ), It can be quite expensive, so only recommended if these photos are truly priceless.

Len43

Thanks for the input. It is evening here in Ireland now & I won't get to attend to this till tomorrow now. I'll report back. Thanks for your very kind help.

Len43

Look for the drive in Disk Management (in Win7: click on Start, right click on Computer, select Manage, click on Disk Management in left pane).

Show us a screenshot of Disk Management (fully expanded). If the BIOS sees the drive, it should show up there. If it does not get a drive letter assigned, it won't show in File Explorer / My Computer.

In regards to master/slave, that setting is for IDE drives on the same port. Sounds like there is only one IDE drive here. If so, it should be set to master. But that is probably not the problem. More likely the partition on the drive is not recognized by Windows, and will show up as RAW or unallocated in Disk Management.
Thanks DRPC!
Changing the Jumpers to "Master" made the drive visible in Disk Management.
I now have the problem that every picture I open I have to get "Permissions"
Are you able to tell me how to just take ownership (get permissions) for the whole drive (all the Docs)?
Many Thanks

crjdriver

You can take ownership of the complete drive however the only way I know how to do this is via the cmd prompt and since you posted
I am a learner not an expert.
This may be above you skill level.
To accomplish this task, run cmd prompt as admin and type “takeown /f E:\* /r” without quotes and hit enter. You need to sub whatever drive letter your drive is using for E. Next you type E:\* /grant Everyone:F /t and enter; again sub the correct drive letter for E.

BTW old ide type drives have a jumper and quite often the cable is color coded; blue, black, and gray. If the drive is jumpered to CS or master, then it should connect to the black end. The blue end goes to the motherboard; gray end to a slave drive or leave unconnected if not used.

Len43

Thanks for all your help. I have got to see the Drives now having changed jumpers to master.
Sadly I couldn't find the photos as I think they were deleted. I'm now tring to use Recuva to retrieve them. Thanks again

plodr

Liz
Sadly, people don't listen to us constantly preaching, "any file you don't want to lose should be backed up in at least 2 places off the computer." Most of us saying this have lost files in the past and then decided to start saving at least 2 copies of everything!
There is no such thing as having too many backups.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online