1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please!!! Help!!! Reformatting XP!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zyros, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zyros

Zyros Thread Starter

Okay, i have posted thios at heaps of forums and they wont give me any useful info. So now its your turn :p

I have windows xp cd. But it will not boot up. The bios is correct, and the cd is in there etc. It says press any key to boot, and i do. It detects some stuff then restarts and loads into my desktop! Doesnt do anything. I have tried another version of windows xp pro. Same thing.

I want to reformat, i need to reformat. This dialer is costing me money. And its slower than a snail with a hammer tied to its leg trying to walk 100 meters

Can someone please help? Someone mentioned www.bootdisk.com but i dont know what to do with this stuff or what to get?

Detailed, step by step info will be very much appreciated. Remember, i cant boot with my CD so i need another way to reformat.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Is it a legit CD? What other version of XP

You get the press any key normal message, then...........Please go into a little more detail

3. Zyros

Zyros Thread Starter

Whats legit? Legal?

Okay, It says press any key to boot from cd-rom. I press any key. ( For example, space bar ) then a it starts detecting something stuff on my computer. This is about 2 seconds after i clicked any key to Boot. Then it restarts the computer. At this point im thinking that it would load into the Partions etc so i can delete them, and create new ones so i can completly remove everything from my computer including the OS which is currently Windows xp Pro. And re-install it again so my hard drive is clean, faster and virus/spayware free.

So, it restarts then loads up noarmally into my login screen, as if nothing happend. It loads noarmally as if i just turned my computer on.

Hows that for detail?

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Is it a Legal retail copy of Windows XP or is it something you downloaded from file sharing software, etc......

If you cant seem to boot from the Cd, you can download the boot floppies to get the Windows XP setup going.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

5. Zyros

Zyros Thread Starter

It is not retail. It is burnt. But isnt there a law that your are allowed to burn cd's for backups. If you own the retail version, and its for personal use.

My dad bought the retail one. I burnt it off him, but a few mounths ago he lent it to a friend and he lost it. So im stuck with the burnt one. But i have infact used it before to reformat and it worked fine. It booted from the cd. But now it wont, Bios is all set to work and everything. I think this computer is getting very old.

Anywayz, can you explain there bootable flopies and how i would use them to what i need?

6. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

I'll ignore that comment - Is this a LEGAL copy or is it an OEM that you got from a buddy or other source.

7. Zyros

Zyros Thread Starter

I expalined above, And if you take that ' Hows that for detail ' Sacasticly. Im sorry, i meant it as a question. I was checking up if that was enough detail for help.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Closing thread. Just because daddy has/had a copy doesn't mean you get to use it illegally.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/307460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice