*Please Help* Regarding CD/DVD Burner

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Phoenix29

K, a couple of days ago, i was making a backup of a movie i had n an error occurred. Not sure what the error said but this is the 1st time its happened.

Now the disc tray doesnt open n the light in front of it keeps blinking. (Sorry, im not that advanced in computers so excuse my terms)

I checked the device manager n it says that "the device is working properly" so it does notice it in the system. I also tried uninstalling the drive n re-installing it but it still doesnt wanna open the disc tray.

*Please Help*

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated. (Not sure what info you need from me but, ask n i will tell)

pugmug

Banned
There should be a small hole in the front of the drive use a paper clip strightened out and stick in the hole to release the drive.It is a very small hole as only an ice pick or paper clip will fit.Try that and get back to us.

Phoenix29

Sorry, forgot to mention that i did that already n removed the errored dvd.

I also just removed the IDE wire n restarted the computer without the CD/DVD drive, then restarted the computer back again w/the IDE wire attached again, but it still doesnt work, disc tray still doesnt wanna open n light is still blinking.

Is the burner just dead in your opinion?

Phoenix29

If i wanted to get an external cd/dvd drive, where can i find out on my computer whether or not i have a USB 2.0?

(Sorry once again if i seem very computer illiterate)

pugmug

Banned
Sounds that way.2 ways to go,reformat reinstall OS and see if drive works correctly,or buy new drive,install and see if it works.Either way is not good.

Phoenix29

Sorry, im not familiar w/that term "Mobo"

If you mean:

Motherboard Name - Intel Blue Mountain 2
Motherboard Chipset - Intel Brookdale i845PE
CPU Type - Intel Pentium 4A
Windows XP Service Pack 2

How do i know if i have a USB 2.0 so i can get an external drive?

N...THANK YOU VERY MUCH PUGMUG for answering all my questions, youve been very helpful.

pugmug

Banned
As I have owned that motherboard,all USB ports are 2.0 compliant.

Phoenix29

Oh ok, any suggestions Pugmug on what brand of external drive i should get?
Or should i just get another internal drive since they are cheaper?

pugmug

Banned
Internal,easy to install,if you need help with that come back but external is portable and you can download to other computers.Your choice.

If you have access to another computer, try to install the faulty rom drive there.
If it doesn't work, you'll know for sure it's toast.

Phoenix29

Hey PUGMUG...

I got an External Burner now, do i take out the broken internal burner or do i leave it in the Comp?

Thanx in advance...

If you have nothing to replace it with, let it be.
(you'll be amazed what creepy crawlies can get in if you don't have the panel cover
on)

Phoenix29

But the light is still blinking on the broken internal burner, shouldnt i be worried that its still blinking?

Or does that not matter?

Thanx DOBBELINA 4 answering...

Well, you could offcourse have it removed.
Just make sure you have something to close that gaping hole when it's gone.
Could perhaps also be a good idea to go into bios and change that device status to "none".
I don't think that blinking is enough to get you a tan, so you wont loose anything by having it removed :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online