1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

please help removing intel stock hsf

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ubamous3, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

hi,

i have an intel p4 2.8ghz northwood core cpu that came with the stock hsf; i am trying to change the hsf to a better hsf with better thermal compound but for the life of me, i can't get the intel stock hsf to come up; after i flip the 2 levers, the HSF is loose but i can't pull it up and i am afraid to break it if there's some kind of switch i need to push or whatever to make it come loose

please help as i have everything open; i'dl ike to get this sucker working before it' gets dark as i'm as blind as a bat as is

thanks so much

oh, i have another p4 (3ghz prescott core) that i need to replace the stock hsf as well; i hope that it's done the same way as the northwood core cpu hsf

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Once the clamps are released you need to pull the latches away from the heatsink and pull up. Grab a flash light and wiggle it slightly and you'll see how its being held on. Sometimes a flat screwdriver helps to pull the latches away.

With the clamps released the heatsink should be loose. If its not clamp it back on and run the computer for a while to warm up the compound. Then power it off and it should come off the CPU if was stuck onto it.

3. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

thanks triple6 for the resccue again; yes i'm stuck with the part where the latches are stuck but it's wiggling; the hsf is loose and wigglable too; i will try the screwdriver to see if i can pull the latches ; hope i wont break it

4. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

ok, that flathead screwdriver works like a charm !! :) thanks very much; i notice that there's thermal tape residue all over the IHS; gotta clean all that stuff up before applying arctic silver 5

5. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

ok, how much should i clean off the cpu's IHS? until it's completely white again or black spots on it are ok; i tried doing a dry run install of the new zalman HSF and it works so i'm ready to do a real install but i dont know if i have cleaned it well enough; there are black spots on it still

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's best to remove all the old thermal paste/pad before applying any new paste. The pad should come off easy enough with a little scrubbing with a wet cloth.

7. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

hi, yes i know that but how clean is clean enough? should i clean it until it's white again ? i use the shamoo thingy (not sure how to spell it :) ) and the antistatic spray cleaner that 's supposed to be oil free

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    As long as there's no black pieces left you should be fine.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to clean off the goop, and it cleans them up just dandy with no risk to the processor or HS. Make sure they're both REALLY clean before applying the new thermal compound and installing again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/302224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice