1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help!...SOFTWARE/REBOOT ISSUE

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Sukhi_123, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sukhi_123

Sukhi_123 Thread Starter

Hi, I tried to reboot my laptop back to to "factory settings" which i have been able to do fine in the past.
    Unfortunatly on this occasion my laptop wasnt plugged in and so when the laptop battery finished, the Laptop switched off during the reboot process.
    When i have since tried to switch on my laptop, it doesnt...it loads for about 5seconds and a message appears saying "BOOTmrg is missing...press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart" but when i do this i go through the same cycle again and again... can anybody help please??
    (also, i didnt recieve a reboot disc with my laptop)... :(

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Have you tried resetting it back to factory settings again?

3. Sukhi_123

Sukhi_123 Thread Starter

hi, Yea thats what i was doing...it was in the process and the laptop just switched off when the battery died. Now i can switch it on, but it only loadz for 5seconds and that message appears....not sure whats happened...can you help?

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

How did you start the factory restore the first time?

Make and model of PC please.

5. edhicks

edhicks

Can you boot in safe mode?

6. Sukhi_123

Sukhi_123 Thread Starter

....basically i switched it off...and when i turned it on again ...pressed f8 continuously, whent through the options and clicked "restor to Dell factory settings"....it started doing it and then about 2mins into it it switched off...
    ..its a DELL Studio 1737 Laptop

7. Wallenberg

Wallenberg

If it was legally purchased from Dell, then you should have no problems getting support from Dell.

In the meantime, it would be good for you to post the operating system you are using as well as its version. It sounds like some OS system file got damaged and needs to be reparired wiht the SFC (System File Checker) utility. But it's really just a waste of our time guessing how to repair this when Dell owes you customer support. You should be able to get on the phone with Dell and get them to help you repair it over the phone in fairly quick order.

If not, you should be able to either get them to come to your location and repair it at your home, or if it's convenient, you can take it to their location and get them to repair it for you.

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Try using F8 again, restart the Dell restore, this time have your laptop plugged into AC power.

9. Sukhi_123

Sukhi_123 Thread Starter

It is legally purchased from Dell however my 1years warranty is over, and the extended warranty that i have taken out apparently only covers problems with the hardware and apparently this is a software issue. For Dell to help me as a one off for this issure alone, they require a payment of £70 and as i am currently a university student this is not feesable at this moment.

I have tried using F8 again to restart the system restore but it doesnt work, it still displays the same message. "BOOTmrg is missing...press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart"

i am currently using Microsoft windows vista...

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

11. edhicks

edhicks

12. Sukhi_123

Sukhi_123 Thread Starter

thankyou guys...i'll have a go at both of those links and let you know how i get on. x

13. Wallenberg

Wallenberg

What a dirty rotten bunch of SOBs! I always knew there must be something to my instincts about avoiding Dell.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice