1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help. Sony Vaio VGN Audio Not Working.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by rayan2004, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rayan2004

rayan2004 Thread Starter

Hi

Hi. My SONY laptop model VGN-FW48E. Running on Win Vista s.p 2.
    Since last 2 days Audio stopped working completely.

It shows the sound icon on start menu bar. But enables only HDMI audio.

Speaker audio or Mic not working. Also i dont see any those devices on playback device tab.

I downloaded and installed software driver for audio few times already.
    I updated BIOS as well.

I tired one whole day doing these things and went to bed. Next day morning i saw Sound is working again. I thought everything is fine. But When i restart the Vaio, sound lost again.

Finally I restored C drive using Vaio Recovery tool. Installed BIOS and Sound Driver from sony website.
    Still I managed to enable only HDMI audio. Im so so fed up with trying so many times.
    I can confirm nothing wrong with Sound card. This must be software/Driver or OS issue as i can see. But i dont know how to fix.

Please tell me how can i get my audio back.

Thank you in advance.

Rayan

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    First thought, hardware fault.

With that said, what is the audio chipset status in Device Manager?

3. rayan2004

rayan2004 Thread Starter

Under Sound, Video & Game Controllers, i can see only High Definition Audio Device.

Before this happed i noticed Realtek Audio Device was also there.
    I downloded and install driver from sony website. But still it enables only HDMI audio. Not speaker audio.
    After hibernating from Night to morning, it worked once in the morning/. But again sound stoped working
    giving "Sound Applet is not Responding."

4. Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    According to the specs, it uses Intel HD audio: https://www.sony-europe.com/support/en/product/VGN-FW48E_H/specifications

So I don't know that you should be seeing "Realtek" listed in the audio section.

Randomly working and not working is typically a sign of a hardware fault. Sometimes you power up or reboot and the hardware functions properly, is recognized, and works. Others times it doesn't work at all.

I assume you are referring to the laptop speakers. If so, have you tested the headphone output?

5. rayan2004

rayan2004 Thread Starter

Yes Im referring to internal laptop speakers. I already tried with headphone output. But result is same. Audio started working in the morning when i turn on the Laptop. This happened 2-3 mornings. But after few mints volume control friezed and go the error "Windows shell common dll not responding/stopped working". So when i restart the laptop, it starts without audio. So i guess sound card is working fine. Based on above situation do you think this can be hardware failure.

6. Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    "sound applet" or "windows shell" could indicate a Windows fault. I don't know of a fix.

You could try using a Restore Point to a time before the trouble began.

Aside from that, my first thought would be a fresh install of the OS. Before that step, you could try manually reinstalling SP2, and then ensuring all of the drivers are up to date.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!