1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PLEASE HELP! Spilled liquid on boss's laptop!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Newhavenmama, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Newhavenmama

Newhavenmama Thread Starter

I pray this is not "too little...too late"!!!

Last week my husband, me and my 4 year old daughter had to travel out of province for our daughters surgery. Before leaving, I had asked my employer if I could borrow his laptop so we could send emails/chat, etc from our hotel room while our daughter was recovering. He agreed and off we went!

One evening (last Tuesday, actually), I had taken the laptop down to the lobby of the hotel because the internet service was not working in the room. There was wireless available in the lobby and lounge. Because there were no available seats in the lobby, I went into the lounge and found a little table where I set up the laptop. I ordered a glass of wine....and the rest of the story is as you can imagine....:eek:

I spilled what I 'guesstimate' to be about 1/4 cup of rose wine on the top right corner of the laptop! I was horrified and after about 5 seconds of being frozen in time, I grabbed the laptop and turned it with the right corner on its side tilted down....I then set it on its end on the seat beside me while I ran in search of napkins. I dabbed at it and left it on its side.....then I raced back upstairs to the room where I left it turned upside down. I had no screwdrivers to open anything up nor did i have google to save me by offering me advise!!!! The business centre was closed and I had no way to find out what I should do!!! The next couple of days were a blur as my daughter was having her surgery - then it was time to leave for home so I had no choice but to put the laptop ever so gently in my carry-on bag and hope that a miracle was in my future......:confused:

We arrived home on Friday - Halloween....4 kids....day also a blur!!! It wasn't until Sat morning that I finally had a chance to search the web......I am realizing I should have opened the laptop up and tried to dry it as much as possible but I can't turn back time (believe me, I've tried!).

When I first tried to power it up on Saturday....there was nothing happening! I called a tech guy who suggested i open it up as much as I could and using a hairdryer on a cool setting at a safe distance, dry out as much as I could. I did this on Saturday and left it until last night when I crossed all fingers and toes to tried to power up again.

I was SOOOOOO hopeful when I saw the power light actually flicker on.....but it only lasted for about 8 seconds then went off.....(n)

Am I out of luck here???? Is there still any hope at all that I haven't destroyed my boss's laptop??? I am looking for ANY guidance and/or advice!!!! I am back to work today but because we need to take our daughter back for her check up next week, I planned on keeping the laptop to use then.....so I am hoping I have a bit of time to possibly get it working or repaired or something????

Thank you to anyone who can help me or break the bad news.....:(

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

As you don't really have much free time, I would take it to a good repair shop b4 leaving, if possible.
    If they can't fix the laptop, there's a good chance they can at least retrieve the data off the harddrive.

3. Newhavenmama

Update....took all screws out of back of laptop and opened up back - just a bit because I couldn't get entire back off. Directed some air into it (at a safe distance) by using a hair dryer on cool setting. Left it over night. Next morning, the power button flickered on and then went to the boot up screen! I held my breath....then it powered off. I did the drying thing again..left over night again...tried it next day....powered on then boot up screen came on and stayed a bit longer! But then powered off. So I packed it up and took it to a repair shop at noon today.

He opened it, pushed the power button and it powered up...then went to the Windows screen!!! I couldn't believe it! When the account screen came on, it looked like it was fine! However, when we clicked on an account, it started working but then powered off. We tried a few more times but couldn't get past this stage. The guy told us there was nothing he could do that would be 'cheap'! He said it wouldn't hurt to apply more heat (nothing to lose)..and try it again in a day or so. So off I went with it under my arm.

Just for kicks, I turned the heat on in the van and put the laptop underneath it for the drive home. When I got home, I opened it, turned it on...powered up...booted...Windows screen...account screen...then it loaded!!!! There was my desktop and all my icons and files and photos!!! I was in shock! I opened a few files, deleted a few things, etc. and then thought I'd try the internet.

I went to Google and tried to type something in...nothing...no key on the keyboard works!!??! I was sooooooooooo close to being euphoric!

So.....now I am sitting here wondering...is this the end? Is the fact that not one key works a horrible sign? Or is it even remotely possible that the machine is still drying out and that it may start working? Can keyboards be replaced??

If anyone has a thought on this, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!!

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

If the computer is starting and seems to be working, the keyboard can be replaced fairly easily.

I would try attaching a regular keyboard to the laptop first to see if it will work that way.

5. Newhavenmama

How do you do that? Sorry....have never done that before...? Where do I plug in? When i do that, does it automatically override the laptop's keyboard?

And I'm guessing that if the external keyboard works, then its just a matter of replacing the laptop keyboard....but...if it doesn't work, then I have more serious problems?

Tks...

6. jmordecai

jmordecai

Hello NHM, I hope the surgery went well and that that's the end of that. As far as the laptop, I'm afraid it would be best to check to see if it's under warranty. If your boss or the office purchased it from Officemax, for example, it would be covered for repairs under an extended service plan. You might look up the mfg site and see if they have that information on file. You'd need to provide the serial number and model. The easiest thing would be to talk to your boss and explain the situation. I'm sure he'll understand. Btw, it's most likely that the hard drive is in tact.

Good luck

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

You will most likely need a keyboard with a USB connector. Once you plug it in, it should override the built-in keyboard.

Yes, if the external keyboard does not work, then there could still be some problems.

8. Newhavenmama

Hi ~

Okay....the good news is that when I plugged in the external keyboard, it worked! However, the laptop keyboard is still dead.....what does that mean??

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That means it needs to be replaced.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/765546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice