1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please Help to make sure I'm virus Free when scanning another Hard Drive!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Dirtybeerguy, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dirtybeerguy

Dirtybeerguy Thread Starter

My question today concerns the safety of my PC. Exactly what I'm trying to do is use my PC ( HP DV6700 Notebook, with Vista) and attach a USB/IDE/SATA cable to my Sister's hard drive, which I have already removed out of her desktop (Dell Demension E521, running Win XP Home Edition(OS)). Now, what I'm wanting to do is connect her hard drive w/ this cable to one of my exsisting USB ports, and scan her hard drive with a working Anti-Virus (Kapersky) which of course would be from MY PC, but I do not want to be infected with her viruses/trojans. My question is this possible, or am I at risk of a virus the minute I connect that hard drive to my USB? If any exact way to do this Virus-Free, Please explain I need your ideas, and Thank You! Also, let me explain a few things I have already tried B4 i removed her hard drive. No matter what I do, I cannot boot to safe mode on her PC ? Not only safemode, No SM w/ networking or command prompt, when I try any of the 3 methods of safe mode, it locks-up and Blue Screen(can't remember what the technical code was, but it locks-up). This computer will boot up through normal boot, then gets to screen names, but when I click on her name to continue the boot-up process to my desktop in XP, it just hangs!! See my reason of hard drive removal??? I want to scan it with my PC and anti-virus to get things in working order, but again I want 2 stay virus free. Oh, 1 more thing, I even tried to insert the original Win XP disk to just do a reinstall, but when inserted it acts as if it's normal, boots to the WIN XP screen where it asks, " 1. to do a complete reinstall 2. to repair( or hit R-Repair) 3. to do something else????" Anyways, It gets me stuck at this point because it will NOT let the keyboard or mouse function to enter the choice I wish to do? Any Ideas on how to fix this Hdrive or scan it and stay Virus -Free?? Thanks everyone!!!

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    You can only possibly become infected if you run the malware. Malware can start itself when a disk is plugged in by exploiting the autorun facility of Windows. Kaspersky is a good program, and should keep you safe. But to be sure you can use the free Panda Autorun vaccine program to completely disable this facility. It will mean that when you insert any installation CD you'll have to manually run the installer, as it cannot autorun. If necessary we can remove the immunization later. From there on just run the scan against the whole disk and avoid opening anything on the hard disk. Even things that look like shortcuts, word documents, and folders can be or run viruses.

An alternative would be not to run Windows to do the scan. For example you could look into downloading one of the bootable antivirus products to scan the hard disk. While it's in her machine, boot the AV product disk (as you would the Windows installer disk) and let it loose on any nasties there.
    http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

3. Dirtybeerguy

OK, I want to startby THANKING you for a rescue disk. I downloaded Kapersky 2010 and 2008, the reason being I could not get 2010 to boot?????? probably something I DID? Anyways, 2008 took off like a charm finding MORE TROJANS and Malware than I could explain...... I ran several scans and did about as much deleting those nasties viruses as possible. I can't believe it, but somehow it did UPDATE the virus defenitions---YEAH !!! So, here's where I'm at and STUCK STILL!! My next process was to take out Kap.2008, insert Win XP original install disk, and then restart. Ok, now it is restarting, I allow Win XP Disk to boot-up and get to the Blue Screen where it ask to hit R for REPAIR, ENTER to do a fresh install, or F3 to EXIT. Here's the problem----MY KEYBOARD will not function ( Everywhere else it works fine, but when it gets to this step), WHY?? Is there a way around this? I mean yes, I would like to hit R and repair, but if I can do a fresh install and get it back to operating I'll do what it takes!! I just need this sucker to WORK!! Also, I tried to boot the PC in normal mode and safe mode, in both ways it stops at a black screen saying, " System Win. 32 file not found" --- Something to this nature, not sure of the exact words, but anyways it tells me to enter my Win XP install Disk and hit "R" to Repair. Obviously, I would do this, but my KEYBOARD will not function, not the R button nor the ENTER key? However, the keyboard works with Kap RD 2008, or if I try to get into safe mode? What should I do? IM STUCK?

4. Dirtybeerguy

While waiting on a reply, I downloaded AVG resue disk and updated all necessary updates and ran crucial scan. I then proceeded to insert WIN XP REINSTALL disk, did a restart, it booted up but still will not allow keyboard to function? Therefourth, I cannot choose any options for REPAIR or REINSTALL (OS)?? Still STUCK?? HELP???

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    You asked about how to run a scan without an infection risk, which you've done and confirmed that there is a real malware problem. I'm going to ask for one of the trained malware helpers to take it from here, as I'm not authorised to offer antimalware advice.

In principle malware cannot affect anything that happens while booting from a CD. I would suspect that your keyboard doesn't work because the BIOS doesn't support that kind of keyboard. Sometimes USB keyboards have that problem, and the solution is to use an older keyboard specific connection. However I'll leave you in the hands of the antimalware team. Remember that you could still be infected even if you manage a repair install.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice