1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Please help! Which to choose????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ziggynerja, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziggynerja

ziggynerja Thread Starter

Hello all,

I'm planning on buying a new low/mid priced laptop and I'm stuck between two laptops...was hoping tomshardware can point me in the right direction!

Ill be using the laptop for light Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver work and light gaming. Was hoping to be able to play COD:Black ops on low settings, but thats a bonus.

I do have a powerful desktop, but i still need a laptop because I'm moving around alot.

Here they are...

Acer Aspire
    Intel® Core™ i3-370M processor (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 cache)
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics:UMA
    320 GB HDD (5400 Rpm)
    Screen:15.6" HD Acer CineCrystal™ LED LCD
    Optical Drive: DVD-Super Multi DL drive
    Around £380 NEW

Sony VAIO
    Intel Core i3-330M Processor (2.13GHz, 3MB L3 cache)
    4 GB RAM DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB HDD (5400 Rpm)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 Graphics
    Screen:15.5 VAIO
    Around £480 - £500 USED(good condition, so shouldn't be an issue)

Now i understand the acer will not be able to play black ops with that intergrated gfx. Is the Sony worth the extra ££..

If you have any recommendations for other laptops, please let me know :p thought I'm looking to keep it below £500..

Thanks! :)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    not a lot of difference between CPUs on this site
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

do you know if the sony has 32 or 64 bit software loaded - if 32bit then you will only see about 3.2gb of memory anyway

theres a couple of I5s at Staples for over the £500 - keep an eye open at your local store - I have seen these type of machines drop by £150 over a few weeks and often as they get low on stock and if the availability from the central stores is NONE - they start to put these onto a discount and manager special
    HP Pavillion DV6-3140SA Laptop
    http://www.staples.co.uk/technology...----includes-free-mcafee-internet-security-so

HP Pavillion DM4-1150EA Laptop has dedicated graphics as well
    http://www.staples.co.uk/technology...ics-sata-optical-drive-windows-7-home-premium

i have had about 4 laptops out of staples on very good deals over the last few years

3. ziggynerja

ziggynerja Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply :)

Its had 64bit loaded...

I'm currently living in Spain and..well... the highest spec laptop you'll see here will be spec'd with an Intel Pentium, 1gb of ram for around £800 :p So i prefer to stick with amazon.co.uk..

Those HPs are very nice, heard good things about that DV6. Unfortunatly they are a bit over what i was looking to spend :(

Well I think if i was to even play black ops on that Sony, its going to be painful :p I dout ill find a laptop able to play it AND be able to do webdesign on at this price range :p...

I guess the Acer is the one to go for being £100 cheaper...

but dam.. i love the look of those Sony laptops grr :p

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice